Home2018-2019Lacrosse ends the season with a win against Whitworth

Lacrosse ends the season with a win against Whitworth

JACK KUYPER,
STAFF WRITER

Women’s lacrosse started scoring less than two minutes into the game against Whitworth University on April 27. The Bearcats took on the Pirates, beating them 16-9, and then moved on to defeat Whitman College on Sunday, 1-0. The action took place at home on Sparks Field. WU’s game against Whitman was canceled as a result of a forfeit. The 1-0 score represented the forfeit, and this game counts towards WU’s Northwest Conference (NWC) record but does not count towards their overall record.

In the final game of WU’s inaugural season, first-year Miranda Piros scored the first goal of the game. Neither team put the ball in the net for the next five minutes, then Shay Clark of Whitworth scored two goals at 23:20 and 22:48 to put the Pirates in front, 2-1. Piros responded with two of her own goals at 19:25 on a free position shot, and at 17:58. Whitworth responded with another goal, tying up the game, 3-3. Sophomore Anabel Oshman’s shot at the 12:02 mark started the Bearcats on their first of two 6-0 runs. Sophomore Alayna Newland and first-year Laura Kelly scored about a minute apart at 7:34 and 6:12. Oshman followed them with another goal with 2:55 left in the half. At halftime, WU held a four-point lead, 7-3.

Two quick goals just a few minutes into the second half increased WU’s margin to 9-3. Oshman scored at 26:40, while first-year Emma Canchola gained control on the draw and assisted Newland’s goal 36 seconds later. Whitworth scored two goals, barely reducing WU’s margin, bringing them to 9-5 as the clock approached the 20-minute mark.

Kelly scored on an assist from Piros at 16:43, giving WU a 10-5 lead. A bit later the Pirates retaliated by scoring two goals in less than a minute, cutting the margin to 10-7 with about 13 minutes to go. WU shut out the Pirates for the next 12 minutes. Meanwhile, the Bearcats went on their second 6-0 run. Piros and Oshman each scored two goals in the run. Sophomore Miya Konishi scored the other two goals, bringing the score to 16-7. The Pirates retaliated by scoring two more goals in the last minute of the game, but it wasn’t enough. WU claimed its fourth NWC win of the season, extending its overall record to 5-10 and 4-7 in the NWC.

With Whitman forfeiting the game on Sunday, the women’s lacrosse season came to a close with a final record of 6-10 overall and 5-7 in the NWC. At the end of its first season, WU amassed 133 total goals, averaging about 8.31 goals per game and 19.50 shots per game. Ohsman totaled 46 goals, while Piros followed with 37 goals. Newland led the team with eight assists, followed by Ohsman with six. WU will be losing its goalkeeper, senior Kara Phillips, as well as Laura Polkinghorn and Kali Vickery.

Reflecting on their inaugural season, according to the Willamette Athletics page, the lacrosse team brought an average of about 110 attendees to each game, consisting of other WU athletes, students, faculty and family. Looking to the next year’s season, WU will retain its highest scoring players and will look forward to improving in the off-season after a fantastic first season.

jlkuyper@willamette.edu

Featured Photo: First-year Miranda Piros amassed five goals in her final game of the 2019 season against Whitworth University.
By: Kendrick Arakaki