A duckling’s daring Easter ends with fuzzy fun

Apr 20th, 2017 | By | Category: 2016-2017, Lifestyles

By Madelyn Jones

Momma walked us over to our home by the stream and we settled in for the night. I tried and I tried but I couldn’t sleep! I had heard that Easter was the best day of a duckling’s life, and I was ready to have it now.

I wished and wished I could magically sleep through the night with one wink since I could only keep my eyes closed for a couple seconds. Every time I was about to fall asleep, I’d think about the day to come and what Dad told me about the food hunt, and my eyes would spring right back open; I was too excited!

In the middle of the night, I was struggling to close my eyes, but then I saw Momma walking away from the nest. Momma never left us in the night, so I jumped up to see if there was any danger she was trying to protect us from. I couldn’t find anything, but my curiosity still got the best of me. I know Dad told us never to stray from the family at night, and I know Claire would tell on me if she saw me go, but I had to know what Momma was up to.

I got up quietly and sneaked behind Momma as she crossed the thing she told me yesterday was called a “bridge” and walked the length of the water, until she crawled under a sparse bush. I only got a quick glance inside, but that’s all I needed. Under the bush was a hole full of all sorts of seeds, berries, and other foods, some that I had never seen before. I knew this must be a part of the food hunt Dad told me about, and he said the best part about Easter is trying to find where it is hidden.

The last thing I wanted to do was spoil the mystery, so I ran back over the bridge to the rest of my family. This time I didn’t let myself open my eyes, no matter how much I wanted to, because I wanted to be fully energized for tomorrow to get as much food as possible, or at least more than Barry.

In the morning, I woke to a nudge from Dad’s beak. Him and Momma explained how the hunt would go, and I took off not even a second after their last word, in front of all my brothers and sisters.

I searched all over for the little piles of food in curved leaves. I was so excited when I found my first prize of sunflower seeds under those tall trees that never stop. I found a new type of berry, a raspberry, at the far end of the stream. It was so sweet and Dad told me he would teach me how to take them from the people we see eating by the water.

When all the food was found, all my siblings compared our findings and traded to get more of our favorites, and by the way, I got much more than Barry. I put the rest of the findings in a secret place, away from my nosey siblings.

After that, we splashed and laughed in the stream until I was so tired that Momma had to help me out. I had no problem sleeping that night. Now it makes sense that they nevermind Easter as the best day of a duckling’s life, and I don’t know how anyone could disagree.

mgjones@willamette.edu