A guide to preparing for an earthquake in Oregon

Nov 12th, 2017 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Lifestyles

By Emma Giron

There are a range of emotions felt on campus with the mega earthquake predicted to hit Oregon in mid-October. It is understandable for people to feel unprepared, panicked and in a continuous state of anxiety. Willamette University provides links to an Earthquake Safety and Preparedness guide on how to prepare and help yourself on their Crisis Management & Emergency Preparation page.

Programs such as the Great Oregon Shake Out is a site that is listed on the campus safety page. The Great Oregon ShakeOut, which is supported by organizations such as the American Red Cross and Federal Emergency Mangement Agency (FEMA), provides information on how to protect yourself. Their special report encourages a drop, cover and hold on system.

DROP onto your hands and knees.

COVER your head and neck with one arm and hand.

HOLD ON until shaking stops.

Under shelter: hold on to the shelter with one hand; be ready to move with your shelter if it shifts.

No shelter: hold on to your head and neck with both arms and hands.

Sites such as the Earthquake Country Alliance provide resources and guidance for people with disabilities and other access or functional needs. There are step-by-step instructions for individuals using canes, walkers and wheelchairs. Information can be found at www.earthquakecountry.org/disability/.

The Great Oregon ShakeOut provides useful videos, step-by-step instructions and have scheduled a practice drop, cover and hold on at 10:19 a.m. on Oct. 19. Over 430,000 participants have registered in the practice drill. The homepage, www.shakeout.org/oregon/, links users to an instruction page where they can make earthquake preparations kits with up to two weeks worth of supplies that “lessens the strain on emergency responders,” allowing them to “focus limited resources on injured and other vulnerable populations immediately following a disaster.” There is also a 2 Weeks Ready Facebook page catered to Oregonians that posts regularly. There are a number of kits that can be made including ones for businesses, seniors, youth, pets and livestock.

Here are some basics of what should be in an earthquake preparation kit:

First aid kit: the site has an extensive list that includes pain relieving medication, bandages, scissors, sanitizers and a first-aid manual/instructions.

Food: depending on age and health, a good estimate is to have at least 3,000 calories available per day per adult. Considering stocking up on canned goods and dry ingredients such as dried milk, pasta and beans.

Water: Whether you get clean water from bottles, rain barrels or through purification, it is important to remember you should have access to 1 gallon of water per person per day. Did you know you can find clean water in a water heater or a toilet tank? To learn more ways to purify water visit www.oregon.gov/OEM/2WeeksReady.

Just as the Oregon Office of Emergency Management states, THINK ABOUT IT. TALK ABOUT IT. Find out how you can be earthquake prepared by checking out some of the sites above.

Other helpful sites: www.ready.gov/earthquakes

egiron@willamette.edu