Home2018-2019A summer check-out guide for students on campus

A summer check-out guide for students on campus

CLAIRE ALONGI,
STAFF WRITER

Though it might be hard to believe, there are one and a half weeks of classes left, minus a day off for Student Scholarship Recognition Day (SSRD). Summer looms on the horizon, promising a break from studying and long reading assignments to be replaced by a deep breath of freedom. However, before summer hits, there’s some preparations that have to happen.

Sadly, heading home for summer doesn’t just get served to you on a silver platter. There are some logistics to deal with. So, let’s break it down.

The last day of classes is Monday, May 6, followed by a couple of study days, with finals starting on Thursday, May 9 and ending Tuesday, May 14. Then, with very little turnaround, students in dorms need to be moved out by noon on Wednesday, May 15. There are a few things you can do to help make the transition easier and avoid scrambling at the end of the semester.

Students living on campus need to figure out storage. All residence halls have some kind of storage facility, and students are allowed to store up to two boxes in a residence hall storage room over the summer. You can keep belongings in your current hall, or if you’ll be moving, you can place them in the building you’ll be living in next year. Look out for emails from resident advisors (RAs) about dates and times for storing belongings, along with more specific information about calling the RA on duty for storage access and what exactly you’re allowed to store.

There are also off-campus storage facilities. If you think you have too many items to fit within the storage limit of a residence hall, this might be an option. Start looking now if that’s something you’re interested in, and perhaps seek out a friend or two who might be interested in splitting the bill for a storage locker. Don’t forget a car to move your belongings.

Last but not least, there’s always the option of asking a friend with a house if you can keep some stuff there over the summer. Some might say yes, some might say no, but you’ll never know if you don’t ask.

Remember to leave your room in as a good a condition as you found it (if it’s not already too late). RAs will send out emails about check-outs similar to winter break, but these are even more intensive. Your room should be mostly empty by then so the RA can fully see the room and any bumps or bruises it might have acquired over the course of the year.

Before it is time to think of that, it’s first time to deal with meal points. At the end of the school year, there’s the Swipe Out Hunger meal point donation. If you have extra meal points, consider donating them to food insecure students. Fill out a form on Bearcat BnB to participate. The donation application will be open until April 26.

Keep an eye out for other donations and giveaways going on towards the end of the year. There might be an opportunity to get rid of that set of drawers you don’t want anymore, or pick up some clothes or storage boxes that someone else is giving away.

clalongi@willamette.edu