Home2018-2019Almaraz and Glasgo both blast grand slams

Almaraz and Glasgo both blast grand slams

Jarin Kobashigawa,
Sports Editor

The softball team had two players hit grand slams this weekend in its series against Lewis & Clark (L&C), which resulted in a 2-2 tie. WU lost in two close games on Saturday but came back on Sunday to win both and tie the series.

In the first game on Saturday, the Pioneers’ Savannah Dickson pitched a complete game and shut the Bearcats out, 3-0. Dickson allowed five hits and struck out four. First-year second baseman Sailor Mickey went two for three, accounting for two of the five total hits that WU had. Sophomore centerfielder Breianna Mcleod, junior pitcher Jocelyn Glasgo and first-year catcher Amber Griffith had one hit each.

Junior Vanessa Almaraz launched a grand slam in the top of the first inning in the second game, but the Pioneers provided a three-run push in the bottom of the sixth to prevail. Mcleod started the game with a single up the middle. Glasgo was walked and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by first-year Payten Healy. Sophomore Bailey Hillmick walked to load the bases for Almaraz who hit her second bomb of the season.

The Bearcats were unable to muster up any more runs for the rest of the game, leaving the door open for the Pioneers who closed the margin in the third inning to one run, 4-3. Then, in the bottom of the sixth inning, L&C used three hits, including a home run to take the lead, 6-4.

The Bearcats amassed a stunning 22 hits over the two games on Sunday, leading to 5-4 and 5-2 victories. In the first game, WU struck first in the top of the third inning. Glasgo singled to center field and stole second to get into scoring position. Healy smacked a double to right center and brought Glasgo home to make the score 1-0. In the top of the fourth, Glasgo opened the game up with a home run to centerfield.

Sophomore Danielle Koontz was called upon to pinch run for first-year first baseman Cassie Cosler, who doubled down the leftfield line. Mickey followed Cosler with a single to left field, moving Koontz to third base. Mcleod singled next, but Cosler was held up at third, leaving the bases loaded. Glasgo came up to bat next and hit her grand slam to move the score to 5-0. The team didn’t score for the rest of the game but were able to hold off the offensive surges in the bottom of the sixth and seventh inning to secure the win, 5-4.

In the final game of the series, the Bearcats struck early with a three-run first inning. Hillmick homered to left center and brought home Glasgo, who singled, to break the 0-0 tie. This was Hillmick’s fourth home run of the season thus far. Almaraz followed Hillmick with a double to center. First-year third baseman Kelsey Wong brought Almaraz home with a single to right field to bring the score to 3-0.

The Pioneers closed the margin to 3-2 with a two-run inning in the bottom of the fifth, but WU held onto the lead and added a cushion with two runs in the sixth and seventh. Griffith hit a sacrifice fly to center field, giving Almaraz, who walked earlier in the inning, opportunity to score. In the seventh, Healy doubled to center field and was moved to third on a single courtesy of Almaraz. Healy scored on the same play after the L&C shortstop’s error.

The softball team will travel to California over spring break to play against Williams College, Occidental College and Redlands University from March 23-26. They will come back to Salem, OR to play against Linfield College on Saturday and Sunday, March 30 and 31.

tkobashigawa@willamette.edu

Photo Caption: The softball team amassed 31 hits, including two grand slams and one home run, this past weekend against Lewis & Clark,

PC:Chris Sabato