An intro to Major League Baseball

Apr 20th, 2017 | By | Category: 2016-2017, Sports

By Louis Knox

The two defending league champions, Cleveland Indians and Chicago Cubs, have not started the season the way they had wanted.

The Chicago Cubs are a team that won 103 games in the regular season last year, the best record of any team that year. However, their success did not stop there; they were able to break the curse of the goat and break the 108 year championship drought.

Unfortunately for the Cubs, it is a new year. 2017 has not brought the best of luck to Chicago, who have started this season at just 6-6.

The Indians, who won the American League Pennant in 2016 have not had the same success as they did the year prior; they have started this season at 5-7.

On the contrary, the Baltimore Orioles have come out of the gates firing on all cylinders. They are an impressive 8-3 to start the season.

Another team that has started their 2017 campaign off well is the young New York Yankees. The 9-4 Yankees are led by a core of young talented players like second baseman Starlin Castro, as well as veterans such as Matt Holliday and Jacoby Ellsbury.

One team that is surprising everyone in the National League West is the Colorado Rockies. The Rockies were selected by many to finish toward the bottom of the division, yet thus far are leading the division at 9-5.

On an individual basis there have been several standout performers, starting with the Chicago White Sox’s Avisail Garcia, who is hitting an impressive .447 to start the season.

Another standout performer this season is Seattle Mariners starting pitcher James Paxton, who has not let up a run in his 21 innings of work thus far. Rockies closer Greg Holland has already amassed seven saves this season, three more than anyone else in the National League.

Another pitcher that has gotten off to a hot start is San Francisco Giants pitcher Johnny Cueto who is off to a 3-0 start to the season. However, the Giants have also taken a huge hit to their team due to the loss of Buster Posey for most likely an extended period of time due to being hit in the head by a fastball early in the season.

You can’t make the playoffs, win the Cy Young or the World Series in April, but you can prevent yourself from winning them at this time. Though competition at this time cannot replicate the intensity in October, it is no doubt exciting for everyone that baseball is back.

lknox@willamette.edu