Home2017-2018An outline of changes to Career Services

An outline of changes to Career Services

By Emma Giron

Many changes in Career services are being implemented this semester. The office’s location has changed, new professional and student staff have been hired and innovative ideas are coming to light. The catalysts of this change include the new Director of Career Development, Mandy Devereux, and Career Advisor, Anne Lapour. Returning Career Programs Coordinator, Connie Ralph, has also helped maintain the solid structure of the department, along with eight student employees.

For those who have not utilized Career Services, their office is located on the third floor of the University Center (UC), where they offer resume and cover letter revising, alumni networking, graduate school preparation and other services.

The most obvious change to students is the switch of job management systems from Jobcat to Handshake. Both act as networking tools for students to explore career options, upload resumes and keep updated on new job postings.

According to Devereux, the change occurred because, “Handshake provides a better platform that is more interactive and more accessible… you can schedule appointments easily and tailor your profile for jobs to be sent to you.”

She explained a benefit of Handshake, saying that “several Oregon schools joined at the same time so we could share job information and report outcomes as a state. 54% of students have logged into Handshake already.” The University will also continue using Optimal Resume, a resume and cover letter building program that 736 current students use on campus.

It seems to be common knowledge that Career Services reviews resumes, cover letters and personal statements, but there are so many more services that are provided.

Devereux commented that students can receive support “with career decision making, major selection, job/internship search, interview prep and practice interviews, LinkedIn profile tips and alumni/professional connections. The staff is also very active on social media and our website has many robust resources.” In addition to these personal services, Career Services also prints business cards and provides professional resume paper.

The department is trying to re-establish itself on campus this year with new staff, a new location and the new job posting database, Handshake. Other changes Devereux commented on are “improvements for more student one-on-one appointments, more drop- in times and re-engagement with career programming across campus.” Career Services has made strides to engage with the community by putting on events such as Mentor Day on mid-semester day, Oct. 20th. The event pairs students with mentors in Portland, Oregon for a day of job shadowing.

No other major changes are scheduled to take place until the new staff is settled and campus issues can be isolated, analyzed and addressed. Devereux encourages all students to visit Career Services early and often. Here are some scenarios and topics students can bring to Career Services. The groupings below only represent a small number of examples and are not necessarily class specific.

First Years: Consider on-campus activities and club involvement, look for part time jobs and build a college- level resume.

Second Years: Declare a major, study abroad, think about internships, build skills and experiences.

Third Years:  Seek internships and start to thinking about graduate school.

Fourth Years: Consider postgraduate options.

Lastly, Devereux would like to thank all the students who came to Coffee and Career Conversations. She explained the “informed several services [Career Services] is offering including the addition of more morning appointment times as well as more 30 minute appointments for students with busy schedules.”  

Follow Career Services on Facebook, SnapChat, Twitter, Linkedin, Pinterest and Instagram to stay up to date on upcoming events and career news.

egiron@willamette.edu