Annual Green Fund receives record amount of grant proposals

Apr 11th, 2018 | By | Category: 2017-2018, News

By Natalie Roadarmel

This year, the Green Fund committee received a total of ten annual grants. This is more grants than they have ever received in the past, which totaled to more funds than the Green Fund had to offer. In the end, seven of these grants were fully or partially funded.

The first grant funded was for the 2020 census, and was submitted by Janet Lorenzen. This grant will follow the NAACP in their nationwide campaign to have people of color counted in the 2020 census. This will happen over the summer, as two students will work to collaborate with the Office of Multicultural Affairs, the Center for Equity and Empowerment, and CAUSA or the CAPACSES Leadership Institute. They also want to make 2020 Oregon data available to policymakers and academics in a form that will avoid prison gerrymandering.

Social Justice and the Arts was a grant submitted by Jeanne Clark which was fully funded. This grant will fund a variety of events during the 2018-2019 school year focusing on the intersections between art and social justice. These events will include movie screenings, a textile workshop and speakers.

An additional Grant funded was for Water Bottle Refilling Stations and was proposed by Claire Mathews-Lingen. The purpose of this grant was to extend a project received earlier in the year by Olive Murdoch Meyer and Mathews-Lingen to survey all buildings on campus and assess what buildings need water bottle refill stations. This more recent grant will continue the project by funding the implementation of refill station and spigots in selected areas on campus. Due to a tight budget, this project was not able to be funded fully, but was partially funded to include two refill stations in buildings without any and spigots for sinks in residence halls. It is expected that Murdoch Meyer and Mathews-Lingen will request funding again next year to complete their project.

La Chispa was the next grant that received funding. La Chispa is an emergent effort on campus that seeks to increase environmental justice awareness and conversations at the University, while collaborating with diverse partners in Salem and in the larger Willamette Valley. Their biggest project next year will be bringing in Laura Pulido, an educator, author and activist who focuses on the intersection between geography and critical ethnic studies. This grant was funded in full, as La Chispa continues to uncover and uproot environmental racism, address the inequities of environmental privilege, and advocate for environmental, climate and energy justice.

The next grant funded was submitted by Scott Pike. This grant will purchase a drone for Zena and training for Scott Pike to use the drone. This drone will be used to survey the Zena property over time, which will allow for a wide variety of disciplines to use Zena as a research area. This drone will be available to classes outside of environmental science classes as well.

The Zena Plan was proposed by Joe Abraham and is the next grant which was partially funded by the Green Fund. This grant will fund better signage for Zena, as well as hire someone to manage the property. In addition it will fund Zena Fest and transportation to Zena for Willamette professors, organizations, and others to utilize.

The last grant that received funding was Students for Sustainability. This grant was submitted by Sarah Brush. Students for Sustainability is a program that works to bring sustainability to students in all areas of their experience at Willamette by offering ways to bring ideas and practices of sustainability into academic, professional, community and leadership areas of your time here and establish fundamentals that you will carry beyond Willamette. This grant was fully funded.

The Green Fund is a resource integral to Willamette. Mathews-Lingen commented,“I’m so glad Willamette has a resource like the green fund, it allows for such a variety of projects, which I think is unique. The Green Fund is what students make of it each year. It’s very exciting that there is access to funding for students, it’s a way for us as students to build the institution we want.”

If you are interested in joining the Green Fund, they are now accepting applications for the 2018-2019 committee. Applications are due by noon on Thursday, April 12 and can be found under the Green Fund section on the Willamette website.

naroadarmel@willamette.edu