Home2017-2018ASWU Report

ASWU Report

By Benjamin Love
ASWU Senator

On the Feb. 22 the Associated Students of Willamette University (ASWU) met, the meeting went as follows:

The club Active Minds was approved unanimously; the club helps advocate for mental health and encourages positivity. The Dance Club was also approved.

The Co-Presidents of Wulapallooza came to the meeting and spoke on the upcoming spring event; they discussed a variety of things that will be taking place ranging from the location to the safety tents, fencing, and food trucks. Expect further communications about the event and safety changes.

President Wellman was with the Board of Trustees over the weekend. Following a presentation to the Board by Don Thomson, President Wellman reports that the Bishop conversation went well.

Sarah Shinn will be helping ASWU to choose a new ASP Senator to represent the ASP students.

Discussion on the ASWU spring round 1 budget took place, (the amount of funds requested was particularly higher than other funds request in past years.) To cover the funding gap, ASWU made cuts to some club budgets and will utilize its Collegiate Readership fund for the rest of the semester. ASWU discussed making possible changes to club funding precedents, in particular, the funding of Greek Life philanthropy events.

ASWU meeting take place every Thursday at 7 p.m. on the first floor of Ford; all students are welcome.

btlove@willamette.edu