ASWU Report

Apr 4th, 2018 | By | Category: 2017-2018, News

By Claire Matthews-Lingen
ASWU Senator

The ASWU meeting on Thursday March 22 was full of productive discussion of proposals. The newly elected executive team was celebrated. President: Akerah Mackey, Vice President: Erica Noble, Treasurer: Sarah Mische.

Senate campaigns will take place the week of April 9, and voting will be Thursday and Friday of that week. Keep an eye on your email, consider running and be sure to vote.

Jack Wellman presented his newly developed ASWU Student Portal to be launched on the Willamette site soon, likely the Tuesday after spring break. This will be a place for students at large to engage closer with student governance and university governance.

The ASWU Senate unanimously voted to establish the Bearcat Pantry as an ASWU Program. By becoming an ASWU Program, as opposed to simply a student organization, the Bearcat Pantry will receive consistent funding through ASWU’s Operating Budget.

Senators also approved revisions to the senate elections packet. These changes were recommended by the Elections Commision, the changes consisted of removing posters from the campaigning process (making campaigns paper free), lowering the maximum amount of money that can be spent in a campaign, and adding in Willamette University’s statement on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. The lack of posters will be supplemented by a feature in the Collegian, so check that out during elections week.

The final part of Thursday’s meeting was focused on ASWU’s precedents for funding student organizations. ASWU’s Finance Board put together a comprehensive system for evaluating funding requests, the goal is that with a set precedent there will be less room for bias or unfair assessments of funding requests. The ASWU Senate plans to vote on these changes before the end of the semester.

ASWU meeting take place every Thursday at 7 p.m. on the first floor of Ford; all students are welcome.

cematthewslingen@willamette.edu