Home2018-2019ASWU updates

ASWU updates

MAIRA ROMANOV
SOPHIE GOODWIN-RICE ,
NEWS EDITOR

The Associated Students of Willamette University (ASWU) Senate met on Thursday, April 18 for its weekly meeting. The main objective of the session was to approve funding for Spring Round 3 (SR 3), which allocates club funding for the fall of 2019, as well as ASWU’s Operating Budget for the 2019-2020 school year. The Operating Budget allocates funds for long-term programs and the salaries for certain student leaders within ASWU-sponsored organizations.

ASWU was able to pass SR 3 without issue, but problems arose concerning the Operating Budget, which offers 13 hours of pay per week for ASWU executive members (president, vice president, treasurer, chief justice and clerk). This is a drop from the current allowance of 15 hours per week. After several motions and discussions, the Operating Budget ultimately failed to pass, due to an abnormally small attendance and several senators who abstained from voting. The Operating Budget will be revisited this Thursday. ASWU is also holding a forum during Thursday’s meeting in Ford 102 at 7 p.m., where students will be able to learn about WU’s financial changes and ask questions.

Elections for fall 2019 Senate seats also wrapped up last week, with the final results announced on Friday, April 19. Kellen Bulger, Colin Troesken and Simone Stewart have filled three of the five seats for the class of 2020, while Aby Jaeger and Kaizen Betts-LaCroix will represent two of the five seats for the class of 2021. Finally, the elections for the class of 2022 were won by Nia Lopez-Salmons, Grant Starr, Lilith Jewel, Katrina Miller and Daniel Smith. Elections for the class of 2023 will be held in the fall.

sjgoodwinrice@willamette.edu