Home2017-2018Baseball clinches NWC tournament berth

Baseball clinches NWC tournament berth

By Jared Spohr

Willamette used five hits and three Lewis & Clark errors to score five runs in the top of the second. Key to the team’s success were an RBI single by first year Sean Little and an RBI double by Brett.

Lewis & Clark battled back in the fourth inning by tacking on 4 runs, and then added two more in the fifth to tie it up.

However, the Bearcats battled back in the eighth. Van Eckhardt started the rally as he singled, stole second and moved over to third. Little then knocked a single and scored Van Eckhardt from third. Afterward, senior Eric Del Prado came up and netted his 41st RBI of the season, scoring Little. Brett added a solo homer as well and ended 2-4 with a double, homer and two runs scored.

A key performer in this game was Little, who had a spectacular game in his first career start. His stat line on the day was four of six with a double, three runs and four RBIs.

On Sunday, in a game that lasted only six innings due to inclement weather, the Bearcats brought out their broomsticks, completing the sweep of Lewis & Clark.

Bailey was incredible at the plate, blasting two more baseballs over the fence for a grand total of five on the weekend. His stat line for the game was two of four with his two homers, four RBIs, a walk and two runs scored. He is now tied for third on Willamette’s all time single season homerun record, with 13.

Willamette’s Assistant Athletic Director, Communications Rob McKinney’s article mentioned a very interesting statistic:

“Willamette’s top five hitters in the batting order were a combined 11 of 18 for a .611 batting average during the game”.

Outstanding offensive effort on their part.

Willamette starter junior Brandon Nelson earned a win after he went five innings, giving up eight hits and four runs, also recording five strikeouts and two walks. Junior Nathan Gilman closed the game for the Bearcats, after Lewis and Clark loaded the bases in the sixth.

Up next for Willamette Baseball is the NWC tournament. The Bearcats will join regular season champion Pacific Lutheran University (18-6), Linfield College (15-8) and either George Fox University (13-11) or Whitman College (12-11) in the 2018 NWC Baseball Tournament, set for April 20-22 in Tacoma, Washington.

jspohr@willamette.edu