Bearcats get swept by NWC champion George Fox

Apr 21st, 2018 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Sports

By Dani Saunders

The softball team was all over the place this past weekend due to rain delays and postponed games. They faced off against George Fox on Saturday, April 14 in Newberg, Oregon and on Monday, April 16 at Linfield College in a four-game series.

On the Saturday, George Fox pitcher Madison Sorensen shut down the Bearcats with seven strikeouts and no walks in the five-inning game. George Fox scored first in this game and Willamette sophomore Sofia Magnani attempted to answered back in the top of the second inning with a single, but there was no backing to push her across home plate. The Bruins tacked on four more runs in the bottom of third to make the score 5-0. Willamette remained scoreless as the game headed into the next three innings. George Fox secured their run-rule win by scoring three more runs in the fifth inning and two more in the sixth. The score ended with a Bruin win of 10-0.

The second game on Saturday saw a little more action from the Bearcats but to no avail. Willamette junior, Emily Bishop, went three for three in this game with two singles and a double, and she put one run on the scoreboard for the Bearcats. The Bruins answered back with two home runs and four runs scored in the bottom of the first inning. They went on to score three runs in the second inning and three runs in the third to make the score 10-1. Each team scored once in the fourth inning, but the score remained 11-2 which made the game end in five innings due to the run rule.

The doubleheader that took place on Monday, saw the same pattern of events as the games on Saturday did, with both games ending with the run rule. The first game was scoreless until the third inning when the Bruins tacked on one run and then scored four more runs in the fourth inning on two Bearcat errors. Two more Bearcat errors in the fifth inning lead to two more unearned runs scored by the Bruins. And finally, the sixth inning saw four more runs scored by George Fox. The game ended with a 11-0 Bearcat defeat.

The second game of the doubleheader on Monday saw some Bearcat action, however. In the first two innings, the Bruins scored 10 runs. But, sophomore Kea Gier of Willamette walked in the bottom of the second inning to begin Willamette’s minor comeback. She scored on a hit by first year Breianna McCleod. Gier and first year Danielle Koontz scored in third inning to make the score 12-3. The Bearcats scored two more runs in the fourth inning thanks to sophomore Jocelyn Glasgo first year Kaitlyn Wells and first year Bailey Hillmick. The Bruins were scoreless in the fourth and fifth innings, but then secured two more runs to end the game in the sixth inning on the run rule.

Bearcat softball is now 5-25 overall and will play Whitworth on Tuesday, April 17 to make up games from March.

dsaunder@willamette.edu