Campus Safety Report

Oct. 12 – Oct. 19, 2014 |
Information provided by Campus Safety

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF

October 18, 5:20 a.m. (Campus): While on patrol, an officer observed several instances of graffiti on academic buildings across campus. The officer noted that many of the tags had been done on glass windows and doors. A work order was placed to remove the graffiti from the locations.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID

October 13, 1:20 a.m. (Campus Safety Office): A student came in to the office asking to meet with someone from Bishop. The student reported injuring their head while riding on their long board. Because Bishop was not open at that time, the student was escorted to the ER for further evaluation.

October 16, 7:40 a.m. (Kaneko Commons): Campus Safety received a call that an employee had fallen and injured their ankle. Officers arrived and found the person lying down with their ankle at an unnatural angle. Paramedics were called and transported the employee to the ER.

October 18, (In a Campus Residence): A student called to report that they had hit their head and were worried about a concussion. WEMS and Campus Safety responded to the scene to evaluate the student. WEMS determined that no concussion had occurred and that the student did not require further
treatment.
October 18, (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call from a student asking to be transported to the ER. The student refused treatment from WEMS, stating that they just needed a ride because they believed their ankle was broken. The student was transported to the ER by Campus Safety.

POLICY VIOLATION

October 16, 11:55 p.m. (Matthews Hall): Campus Safety officers witnessed two students yelling at others to get off the roof. Using their flashlight, the officers were able to see roughly a dozen students fleeing from the roof into a Matthews residence. The officers made their way to that room and observed many students leaving the hallway. The officers questioned the students, and when the officers made contact with the occupants of the room, they denied all knowledge of anyone entering their room from the roof. After a conversation, the students admitted that they were lying, but were unwilling to give any information about the other students involved.

POSSESSION OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE

October 16, 11:35 p.m. (Matthews Hall): Campus Safety received a call regarding an intoxicated student. Officers arrived on scene and made contact with the student, who reported drinking an unknown quantity of alcohol, and said they had been vomiting. After a brief evaluation, the officers determined that the student did not need to go to the hospital.
October 18, 1:35 a.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): While on patrol, an officer witnessed someone smash a glass bottle on the ground. The officer made contact with an individual, who was quickly identified as a student. The student admitted to breaking the bottle on the ground and proceeded to pick up the pieces. The student admitted to drinking alcohol and being under 21 years of age.

October 19, 2:51 a.m. (Kaneko Commons): Campus Safety received a call regarding noise coming from residence. Officers attempted to make contact with the occupants. After multiple attempts, the officers keyed in to the room and met with the residents. Officers observed that there was alcohol in the room, as well as the smell of marijuana. While the officers were talking to the students, one of them began to feel very anxious, felt ill and ran to the bathroom. Officers continued the conversation with the two remaining students and found that only one of them was over 21. The student who was of age denied supplying any alcohol to the other two, and they also denied that any of them had been smoking marijuana. During the conversation, the third student began to shout at the officers and interrupt their conversation. The student continued to be aggressive and argumentative with the officers. After gathering all information, the officers evaluated the ill student and determined that they did not need further medical attention.

THEFT

October 12, 12:00 p.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): A student called to report that the front tire of their bike had been stolen. The bike had been locked up to the outdoor bike rack the night before. When the student returned the next day, the tire was gone.

October 13, 1:00 p.m. (Sparks Center): A student reported that their bike had been stolen. The bike had been locked to the bike rack while the student was inside Sparks. When the student returned an hour later, the bike was gone.

October 15, 7:24 p.m. (Law School): A student called to report that their jacket had been stolen. Their keys were inside their jacket. The student had left the jacket in the library while they went to class and, when they returned, it was gone.

October 18, 9:23 p.m. (Law School): A student reported that their rear bike tire had been stolen. The student locked the bike up in front of the Law school and, when they returned that evening, the tire was gone. The student reported that the bike had also been damaged.

*PLEASE CONTACT CAMPUS SAFETY IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THESE INCIDENTS.*

October 7-12, 2014|
Information provided by Campus Safety
CRIMINAL MISCHIEF
October 11, 4:05 a.m. (Atkinson Annex): An officer discovered an emergency phone light lying on the ground. The light had been removed from its bracket and was found in the planter nearby. A work order was submitted to repair the light.
POLICY VIOLATION
October 7, 4:00 p.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): A student received their 21st parking citation, their third this school year. A report was forwarded to the Office of Rights and Responsibilities.
POSSESSION OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE
October 10, 9:13 p.m. (Lausanne Hall): Campus Safety received a report of the smell of marijuana. The officers arrived on scene and located the origin of the odor. After several attempts, the officers made contact with the residents of the room. After a brief conversation with the students, two containers with marijuana were handed over to the officers.
October 11, 2:57 a.m. (Haseldorf Apartments): Campus Safety received reports that someone was on the fire escape of the building. One report stated that they heard vomiting as well. The officers observed an individual hanging out of a window. The officers entered the building and encountered a strong smell of marijuana. The officers made contact with the residents, who admitted to smoking marijuana. One of the students also admitted to drinking earlier that night.
SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY
October 11, 2:15 p.m. (Matthews Hall): A student reported that someone had entered their room while they were sleeping. The student had gone back to their room to take a nap, and when they awoke, their roommate’s bed had been raised. The student reported that the bed was definitely much lower before they took their nap. The student stated that a work order had been placed to raise the bed, but no sign was put on the door, and the student was not woken while the work was being done. Campus Safety contacted the on-call maintenance manager in an attempt to locate who may have done the work.
SUSPICIOUS PERSON
October 7, 6:25 a.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a report of a suspicious male lying face down in the parking lot with his pants pulled down. The officer arrived on scene to speak with the individual. As soon as the officer made contact, the man got up and left campus. Later that morning, the officer received another report of a suspicious individual at TIUA. The officer arrived to find the same subject that was on campus earlier. Salem police were called, and the man was trespassed from campus.
THEFT
October 10, 2:00 p.m. (Matthews Hall): A student reported that the rear tire of their bike had been stolen. The student had left the bike locked up the previous evening. When they returned later that night, the bike tire was gone.
*PLEASE CONTACT CAMPUS SAFETY IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THESE INCIDENTS.

September 29-October 4, 2014|

Information provided by Campus Safety

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF

September 29, 7:28 a.m. (Mill Stream):  An officer discovered that the posts used to divert traffic from the south end of Doney were missing.  The officer later found that they had been placed upright in the Mill Stream near the north end of Goudy.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID

September 29, (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call that a student was experiencing severe pain. After a brief evaluation, the officer transported the student to the ER.

September 30, (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call that a student was not feeling well. The officer met with the student, who reported that several of their teammates were also feeling ill. After a brief evaluation, the student was transported to the ER for further treatment.

October 3, (In a Campus Residence):   Campus Safety received a call from Salem Police concerning the well-being of a student. They reported that a student had sent upsetting texts to a friend, who then called 911. Campus Safety met with police officers and made contact with the student at their room. The student answered their door and after a brief conversation, the officers learned that the student had consumed an unknown quantity of various pills.  An ambulance was called to transport the student to the ER.

POLICY VIOLATION

October 3, 11:00 p.m. (University Apartments): Campus Safety received a call regarding loud music coming from a residence.  The caller also reported that some sort of liquid was being poured out of the room’s window. Officers responded and attempted to make contact with the residents. Officers heard someone from inside call out “it’s campo” and then heard doors being slammed. Officers gained entry and told the students to turn the music down. The officers also asked why doors had been slammed and about the liquids being dumped out the window. The occupants of the room denied doing so.

SUSPICIOUS PERSON

October 4, 10:02 p.m. (Hatfield Fountain): Campus Safety received a call regarding a suspicious person following a student. Officer responded and attempted to locate the subject. Officers were able to locate the suspect, who was continuing to walk through campus, and asked if he had been following students. The suspect stated that he had not, but when asked a second time, he muttered that “she misinterpreted it.” After hearing this, officers trespassed the suspect from University property and escorted him off of campus.

THEFT

September 29, 4:30 p.m. (Lausanne Hall): A student report that their bike had been stolen from the basement of Lausanne. The bike had been left there over the summer and when the student returned to retrieve it, it was gone. Several days after reporting, the student found the bike in the bushes near Smullin Hall.

September 30, 6:53 p.m. (Bush Park):  A student called to report that their car had been broken in to and some items had been stolen. The student reported a backpack containing their laptop was taken, as well as their wallet. A friend of the student also had their ID card stolen from the vehicle. WITS was notified of the stolen laptop in an effort to track it.  Later that evening, WITS notified Campus Safety that the laptop had connected to the Internet near Hatfield Library and also connected in Sparks. The officer responded to the area, but was unable to locate anyone.

October 2, 2:33 p.m. (Ford Hall):  A student reported that their bike had been stolen.  The student had locked the bike up the night before and when they returned, the bike was gone and the cable lock had been cut.

VEHICLE ACCIDENT

October 2, 3:30 p.m. (Blue Parking Lot):  Campus Safety received a call that a Willamette Van had backed up in to another vehicle, and had taken off. Officers viewed the damage to the victim’s vehicle. The owner was notified of the minor damage sustained to their bumper.  Campus Safety also spoke with Maintenance to determine which group had the van that afternoon.

September 22-26, 2014|

Information provided by Campus Safety

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF

September 23, 11:25 a.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): A student reported that someone had attempted to break into their car. The officer went with the student to survey the damage to the car and found that the driver’s side lock had been pried to the point of breaking, but no entry to the vehicle had been made.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID

September 22, (Off Campus): Campus Safety received a call regarding the wellbeing of a student. The student stated that they were having problems and requested help. The officer drove to the student’s house and transported them to the ER for further medical attention.

September 23, (In a Campus Residence):  A student called to report that they had cut their hand. The student requested transportation to the ER because they had lost a lot of blood and they were feeling light-headed. The officer on duty met with the student and transported them to the ER.

September 26, (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a report that a student had broken a window and cut open their hand. The officer spoke with the injured student, who was attempting to close the lounge door when their hand slipped through one of the glass panes. The student stated that they didn’t need any further medical attention. Facilities Services was called to clean up the area.

September 26, (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call that a student was highly intoxicated and had passed out. The officer arrived to evaluate the student and was unable to wake them. The officer called 911 and paramedics arrived to evaluate the student. The student refused any further service and the paramedics determined that the student was well enough to take care of themselves.

POLICY VIOLATION

September 25, 3:00 p.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): A student received their 12th parking citation, their third this semester.  A report was forwarded to the Office of Rights and Responsibilities.

September 26, 10:57 a.m. (University Center): Campus Safety received reports that a student was hanging over the second floor balcony of the University Center.  When the officers arrived, the student was standing on the outside of the railing, holding on with only one hand and swinging back and forth.  Upon seeing the officers, the student immediately hopped back over the railing and went inside the building.  The student questioned the officer’s directive, refusing to believe that the officers could stop the student. Throughout the conversation, the student continued to ask what authority they had to stop them. A short while later, one of the officers passed by the same student who began yelling at the officer and harassing her.

SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY

September 26, 10:28 a.m. (Online):  A student came in to the office to report that they were being harassed online. The student stated that they were conducting a study for their class, and was using Twitter to send out a survey.  Shortly after setting this up, the student received a large number of threats on their life. Later that day, the student received a threatening email, suggesting that the survey data was going to be tampered with.

THEFT

September 22, 1:54 p.m. (Belknap Hall): A student came in to report that a bike tire had been stolen from their bike. The student reported seeing the bike intact that morning, but when they returned that afternoon, the tire was gone.

September 23, 3:00 p.m. (Southwood Hall): A student came in to report that their bike had been stolen during the past weekend. The bike had been locked up outside near Montag with a cable lock.  When the student returned to use the bike, the lock had been cut and the bike was gone

September 15-21, 2014

Information provided by Campus Safety

ACCIDENT

September 17, 5:45 p.m. (Willamette River): Campus Safety received a call from the Crew team who were practicing on the river. During practice, they hit a gravel bar. They were unable to re-launch their boat into the water due to the current.  Both boats were pulled up onto a sandbar in the middle of the river and 911 was called to retrieve the students and coach from the river.

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF

September 17, 2:15 p.m. (York House):  Campus Safety received a report that the York pingpong table was damaged.  The officer observed that one side of the table had been broken and was no longer usable.  A work order was placed to remove the table.

September 19, 3:20 p.m. (Lausanne Hall): Campus Safety received a report that some trash and personal items had been thrown outside of a room and onto the ground outside. Officers took pictures of the evidence.  A work order was placed to clean up the trash and other items.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID

September 17 (In a Campus Residence):  Campus Safety received a call regarding the wellbeing of a student. Officers arrived on the scene to speak with the student. The student stated that they were having difficulties and requested help, but were unsure if their insurance would cover it. After checking with the student’s insurance company, the student was transported to the ER for further medical attention.

September 19, (In an Academic Building): Campus Safety received a call that a student was having vision problems and requested that they be taken to the ER.  The officer arrived on scene and the student reported that they had blurred vision and a temporary blind spot in one eye.  The student was transported to the ER by Campus Safety.

September 20, (In a Campus Residence):   Campus Safety received a call that a student was intoxicated and unresponsive.  Officers found the student sleeping on their bed. After a brief evaluation, officers called 911 for paramedics to evaluate the student. They arrived and determined that the student needed further medical attention. The student was transported to Salem Hospital.

MINOR IN POSSESSION

September 19, 10:25 p.m. (University Apartments Parking Lot):  While in route to another call, Campus Safety officers witnessed a student placing something underneath a car before quickly trying to leave the area. The officers caught up to the student and began questioning their actions. The student initially gave the officers a false name and denied all knowledge of trying to hide something underneath a car. The officers smelled alcohol. Once confronted about lying, the student gave his real name and told the officers about the beer cans that he put under the car.

September 8-11, 2014

Information provided by Campus Safety

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF

September 8, 8:55 a.m. (Doney Hall):  Campus Safety received a call about a vandalized toilet. The officer responded and observed a toilet that had been stuffed with paper towels so that it could not be flushed properly.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID

September 11, 7:07 p.m. (Goudy Commons): Campus Safety received a call stating that a student was having an allergic reaction to some food and required emergency assistance. Salem Fire Department was called and the officers were dispatched to the scene. It was determined that the student required further attention and was taken to the ER by the ambulance.

POSSESSION OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE

September 8, 12:03 a.m. (York House):  Campus Safety received a call regarding the smell of marijuana coming from a residence room. The officer located the origin of the smell and made contact with the owner of the room. Upon entering the room, the officer observed a pipe on the windowsill as well as a glass jar with marijuana inside. After a brief conversation, the student gave the paraphernalia to the officer.

September 9, 11:00 p.m. (University Apartments): Campus Safety received a call regarding the smell of marijuana coming from a room. The officer attempted to make contact with the resident, but the resident tried to leave the room, slamming the door behind them. The student then tried to push pass the officer, in an attempt to leave the building. When the officer tried to stop him and asked for their ID, the student became aggressive and refused to give over their ID. After a brief conversation, the officer entered the room with the student, which smelled strongly of marijuana. The student denied smoking and stated that someone else had been smoking.

September 11, 2:06 p.m. (Haseldorf Apartments): Campus Safety received a report concerning the welfare of a student. The reporting party stated that the student was acting very strangely while on their way to class. When asked if they were OK, the student reported that they were “high on meth.” After taking the witness’ information, the officer went to the room of the student to conduct a welfare check. After knocking repeatedly, the officer entered the room and observed multiple candles as well as a pipe next to a small bag containing a white substance.  The student was located and reported that they were high on meth, and that the bag of white substance was meth as well.  The student was transported to the ER for evaluation. Salem Police was contacted and an officer arrived to confiscate the evidence.

THEFT

September 8, 3:51 p.m. (Matthews Hall):  A student came in to the office to report that their bike had been stolen. The owner reported that they had locked their bike up overnight and when they returned the next day, the bike was gone and the lock had been cut.

September 9, 10:30 a.m. (Matthews Hall): A student came in to the office to report that their bike had been stolen.  The student reported seeing the bike all through the last week, but the bike was missing that morning.

September 9, 5:59 p.m. (Matthews Hall):   A student came in to the office to report that their bike had been stolen. The student reported leaving the bike attached to the rail and, when they came back out a few minutes later, the bike was gone.

SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY

September 19, 9:50 p.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a report that a group of students were drinking and breaking bottles in the Sparks parking lot. The caller reported seeing several vehicles drive up and numerous people get out and start drinking. The officers arrived on scene and the caller pointed out a group thatwas leaving the area.  The students reported that the group consisted of current students as well as alumni and provided names of the known people.  The students were unsure of who had broken the bottles.

THEFT

September 15, 11:40 a.m. (Pi Beta Phi):  A student came into the office to report that their bike had been stolen. The student had locked the bike up in front of their house, and when they returned the next morning, the bike was gone.

September 15, 3:35 p.m. (University Center):  A student reported that their wallet had been stolen. The student reported forgetting the wallet in the Bistro the previous week.  Since that time, their debit card had been used to make a purchase.  The student has since cancelled their bank cards.

September 16, 10:25 a.m. (Kaneko Commons):  A student came in to the office to report that their bike had been stolen. The bike had been locked up on the bike rack outside with a cable lock. When the student came back the next day, the lock had been cut and the bike was gone.

September 16, 12:35 p.m. (Off Campus):  An employee called to report that their Willamette laptop had been stolen from their vehicle. The employee was unsure where the theft had occurred, but there was no sign of forced entry on their vehicle.

September 16, 4:00 p.m. (Downtown Salem):   A student came in to the office to report that their car had been broken into while downtown. A number of things were stolen from the vehicle, including the student’s ID card and keys. Shortly before the report, Campus Safety received a call from an off-campus individual, stating that they had found the student’s ID card. The student was advised to file a report with Salem Police Department.  The next day, the student’s card was turned in to a Willamette employee by an unknown person.

September 18, 11:30 a.m. (Sparks Field): A student came in to the office to report that their bike had been stolen. They had locked the bike up with a cable lock and when they returned the next morning, the bike lock had been cut, and the bike was gone.