Campus Safety Report

November 10 – 16, 2014|
Information provided by Campus Safety

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF
November 12, 1 p.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): An employee called to report that their vehicle had been damaged while parked in the lot. The employee showed the officer the broken side view mirror as well as a couple of scrapes on the plastic.

November 16, 2:07 a.m. (Haseldorf Apartments): Campus Safety received an alarm triggered by a window screen. The officer found that one of the screens had been pried away from the window, bending its frame. A work order was submitted to replace the damaged screen.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID
November 13, 5:08 p.m. (12th and Mill streets): Campus Safety received a call that a student was struck by a vehicle as they were crossing 12th street on their way to Kaneko. WEMS and Campus Safety responded to the scene. Paramedics also responded. The student suffered no major injuries and the driver of the vehicle was arrested by Salem PD on a charge of DUI.

POSSESSION OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE
November 15, 10:38 p.m. (University Apartments): Campus Safety received a report of the smell of marijuana. Officers responded and spoke with residents of the room, who confirmed that they had been smoking marijuana. The students handed over the paraphernalia to the officer.

THEFT
November 10, 8:30 a.m. (Lee House): Campus Safety received a report that a set of golf cart batteries had been stolen from a campus golf cart. Information regarding this incident was forwarded to Salem PD as part of an ongoing investigation.

November 10, 2:30 p.m. (Eaton Hall): A student came into the office to report that their bike had been stolen. The student reported locking the bike up in front of the building and, when they came back after class, it was gone.

November 11, 8:30 p.m. (University Apartment Parking Lot): A student reported that their car had been broken into. The front passenger window was smashed and a purse was taken from inside.

November 13, 7:35 a.m. (University Apartment Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a report of a vehicle that had been broken into. The right front window had been smashed. The owner was contacted about the incident and later was able to itemize what had been taken from the vehicle.

November 13, 11:15 a.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): A student called to report that their vehicle had been broken into. The officer met with the student and observed that the left rear window had been smashed and items had been taken from inside.

November 13, 12:15 p.m. (University Apartment Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a report of a vehicle that had been broken into. The owner of the vehicle was contacted and met the officer at the scene. The right front window had been smashed and the owner’s wallet was stolen.

November 13, 12:20 p.m. (Winter Street): A student came into the office to report that their vehicle had been broken into. The right rear window had been smashed in, but nothing appeared to be missing from the vehicle.

November 13, 3:01 p.m. (University Apartment Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a report that a vehicle had been broken into. The front passenger window was smashed and some valuables were taken from the vehicle.

November 13 8:39 p.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a report that a vehicle had been broken into. An officer met with the reporting party and they showed the officer how their car had been ransacked. No signs of forced entry were observed on the vehicle.

*PLEASE CONTACT CAMPUS SAFETY IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THESE INCIDENTS.*

November 3 – 9, 2014 |
Information provided by Campus Safety

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID
November 4, 11:30 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call concerning the welfare of a student. The caller reported that the student was hurting themselves and contemplating suicide. Officers made contact with the student and observed shallow cuts on the student’s arm. The On-Call Area Coordinator was contacted to speak with the student. After a short conversation, it was determined that the student was not an immediate danger to themselves and was left in the care of their friends.

November 6, 10:45 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call concerning the welfare of a student. The caller reported that the student may need to go to the Hospital. The officer spoke with a friend concerning the student’s behavior and emotional state. After a brief conversation the student agreed to meet with Bishop the next day.

November 7, 12:00 p.m. (Sparks Field): Campus Safety received a call regarding a broken arm. A parent reported that their child had been playing soccer with a friend when they broke their arm. The student was quickly transported to ER by the parent for further medical attention.

November 8, 12:08 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call regarding a student passed out in the hallway. WEMS and Campus Safety evaluated the student. The student was uncooperative and WEMS was unable to complete an evaluation, but it was clear that the student needed medical attention. Salem Fire Department was called. After a brief evaluation, it was determined that the student would need to be taken to the hospital.

November 8, 6:25 p.m. (Campus Safety): A visibly distressed student contacted an officer to discuss some of the problems they were having, including thoughts of harming others. The officer transported the student to the ER for further evaluation and the on-call coordinator was called to stay with the student in the waiting room.

FIRE
November 5, 9:45 a.m. (Executive Building): Campus Safety received a call regarding a fire that had started in one of Facilities’ office dryers, but it had been put out. Shortly after, on-call Maintenance workers arrived to fix the dryer and reported that the drum had been overloaded.

POSSESSION OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE
November 8, 10:31 p.m. (University Apartments): Campus Safety received a call regarding the smell of marijuana in the building. After a brief search, the officer located the origin of the smell and made contact with the room’s occupants. The officer confiscated the paraphernalia.

November 9, 1:53 a.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): Officers witnessed a visibly intoxicated student being assisted off the ground by another student. After ensuring that the student needed no further medical attention, the officer left the student in the care of their friend.

November 9, 2:45 a.m. (Belknap Hall): While on patrol, officers heard loud voices from outside the building. Officers made contact with the occupants of the room and discovered the presence of alcohol. After being asked multiple times, the students admitted to drinking and being under 21. The students turned over the remaining alcohol and apologized for their behavior.

POLICY VIOLATION
November 7, 4:00 p.m. (University Apartments Parking Lot): A student received their 11th parking citation, their fifth of the school year. A report was forwarded to the Office of Rights and Responsibilities.

THEFT
November 5, 10:30 a.m. (Kaneko Commons): A student reported that their bike had been stolen. The bike had been locked up near the beginning of the school year and when the student returned to check on the bike, it was gone.

November 6, 10:50 a.m. (Lausanne Hall): A student reported that their bike had been stolen. The bike had been locked up outside the previous day, and when the student returned the lock had been cut, and the bike was gone. The student was able to obtain the serial number of the bike and was encouraged to make a report with Salem police.

Oct. 27 – Nov. 2, 2014|
Information provided by Campus Safety

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF
October 27, 10:45 a.m. (Montag Center): An employee reported that there had been a party in one of the rooms in the Montag Loft. The officer observed multiple empty containers of alcohol in the trash can. The officer also noted that alcohol had been spilt on couches and tables throughout the room.
November 1, 2:21 a.m. (Goudy Commons): Campus Safety received a call regarding a possible break-in. The officer spoke with an employee who reported that some equipment had been tampered with. The employee reported that a couple of machines had been turned on and water had begun pooling around them. The employee stated that the devices had not been on a few hours prior, and that no one else should have been able to turn them on.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID
October 29, 8:41 p.m. (McCulloch Stadium): Campus Safety received a report that an injury had occurred on the field at McCulloch Stadium. An officer made contact with an injured person who stated that they had slipped and injured their knee, but did not want to go to the hospital. The officer helped them to their car.
October 29, 10:15 p.m. (McCulloch Stadium): A student called to report that an injury had occurred on the field at the stadium. The officer made contact with the student, who reported that they had twisted their knee during flag football. The student declined a ride to the ER and instead just wanted help to their car so they could contact a friend for a ride home.
October 31, (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call regarding an intoxicated student. WEMS and Campus Safety met on the scene. After a brief evaluation, WEMS determined that the student would require further medical attention; 911 was called and medics were dispatched. The student was transported to the ER by the Salem Fire Department.
November 1, (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call regarding an intoxicated student. WEMS and Campus Safety met on scene to evaluate the student and then called Salem Fire Department to evaluate the student further. After a brief evaluation, they determined that the student could be left in the care of himself.
November 2, (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call that a student had been injured. WEMS and Campus Safety arrived on scene to evaluate a student who had fallen down the stairs, injuring their shoulder and scraping their leg. The student was transported to the hospital by Campus Safety.

HARASSMENT
October 31, 11:27 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): A student came in to the office to report that a threatening note had been left on their door. The student told the officer who they believed wrote the note. The student reported that they didn’t feel that they were in danger, but that they wanted the incident documented.
November 1, 2:10 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call that a fire extinguisher had been set off inside a residence. When the officer arrived on scene, they found that the extinguisher had been sprayed on the door of a student’s room. The officer made contact with the victim to find out what had occurred. The student reported that they have had ongoing issues with someone who was antagonizing them. This situation had been escalating and they felt unsafe in their room. The student was given a guest room for the remainder of the weekend.

POSSESSION OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE
November 2, 2:00 a.m. (Kaneko Commons): While on another call, the officer on duty was alerted to loud music coming from a residence. The officer made contact with the residents and observed multiple containers of alcohol inside the room. The student who opened the door stated that everyone inside was of legal drinking age. The officer took down everyone’s information and asked them to keep the music and noise down. When the officer returned to the office, they found that the student who had spoken to them had lied about being of legal drinking age.
October 31, 10:29 p.m. (Northwood Hall): Campus Safety received a complaint regarding the smell of marijuana. The officer located the origin of the smell. After knocking multiple times, the officer keyed in and found the room empty. Inside, the officer found a glass container containing marijuana. The paraphernalia was seized.

THEFT
October 27, 11:00 a.m. (Matthews Hall): Campus Safety received a report of some items missing from the Academic Center. The reporting party listed both a toaster and microwave that had been stolen.
October 27, 2:30 p.m. (University Center): A student came in to report that their bike had been stolen. The student reported locking the bike up in front of the Bike Shop for repairs and, when they returned a week later, the bike was gone.
October 30, 3:00 p.m. (Smullin Hall): A student came in to the office to report that their bike had been stolen. The student had locked the bike up before class, but when they returned their lock was cut and the bike was gone. The student was directed to also report the incident to the Salem Police Department.
November 1, 11:40 a.m. (Lee House): Campus Safety received a report regarding the theft of a golf cart battery. Officers spoke with an employee who had witnessed the incident. The employee reported seeing a suspicious vehicle pull up to the golf cart and quickly remove the battery, then put it in the trunk of their car. The license plate of the vehicle was recorded and Salem Police was contacted about the theft.

*PLEASE CONTACT CAMPUS SAFETY IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THESE INCIDENTS.

Oct. 20 – Oct. 25, 2014 |
Information provided by Campus Safety

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF
October 25, 8:01 a.m. (Brown Field): An officer observed large muddy tire tracks cutting across the field that were too narrow to be from a normal vehicle and must have come from a golf cart. While investigating the damage, a manager from Bon Appétit notified the officer that it was caused by one of their employees.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID
October 24, 11:59 p.m. (Off Campus): Campus Safety received a call that a student was feeling ill and wanted to see WEMS. WEMS agreed to see the student, and they were brought in to the office. After a brief evaluation, WEMS thought it best if the student went to the ER for further treatment. The student was transported to the ER by Campus Safety and WEMS personnel.

FIRE ALARM
October 24, 7:38 p.m. (Alpha Chi Omega): Campus Safety received a notification regarding a fire alarm at Alpha Chi Omega. The officer on duty responded to the scene to find that smoke from an outdoor fire pit had made its way in to the building from an open window, which had set off the alarm.

HARASSMENT
October 22, 2:00 p.m. (Telephone): A student reported that they had received a very disturbing text from a number they did not know. Later that evening, the student received yet another text, containing threats against them. The student was advised to promptly make a report with Salem Police Department.

MINOR IN POSSESSION
October 23, 10:16 p.m. (York House): Campus Safety received a report regarding a loud party coming from a residence room. Officers responded and made contact with the room’s occupants. Officers observed multiple alcoholic containers, as well as a total of 17 people in the room. After obtaining each occupant’s information, it was determined that many of those present were underage. The officers spoke with the residents of the room about occupancy and the presence of alcohol around minors.

POLICY VIOLATION
October 20, 9:00 a.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): A student received their 16th parking citation on campus, their seventh of the school year. A report was forwarded to the Office of Rights and Responsibilities.

PROPERTY DAMAGE
October 24, 5:31 p.m. (Gatke Hall): Campus Safety received a call that a window had been damaged in one of the offices of Gatke. A work order was placed to have the window fixed and the owner of the office was notified.

RACIAL INTIMIDATION
October 24, 4:10 p.m. (Kaneko Commons): A student came in to the office to report that a racial slur had been written on the back windshield of their vehicle and that they believed they were being targeted.

VEHICLE ACCIDENT
October 21, 2:00 p.m. (Off Campus): Campus Safety received a report that a Willamette van had been in an accident off campus. The student involved in the accident reported that they were attempting to make a left turn onto Mission Street when the van was struck on the side by another vehicle. No one was seriously injured, but both vehicles sustained significant damage.

October 23, 7:15 p.m. (Blue Parking Lot): A student reported that they had accidentally struck another vehicle with a Willamette van. The student was attempting to exit the lot when they hit the other vehicle.

Oct. 12 – Oct. 19, 2014 |
Information provided by Campus Safety

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF

October 18, 5:20 a.m. (Campus): While on patrol, an officer observed several instances of graffiti on academic buildings across campus. The officer noted that many of the tags had been done on glass windows and doors. A work order was placed to remove the graffiti from the locations.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID

October 13, 1:20 a.m. (Campus Safety Office): A student came in to the office asking to meet with someone from Bishop. The student reported injuring their head while riding on their long board. Because Bishop was not open at that time, the student was escorted to the ER for further evaluation.

October 16, 7:40 a.m. (Kaneko Commons): Campus Safety received a call that an employee had fallen and injured their ankle. Officers arrived and found the person lying down with their ankle at an unnatural angle. Paramedics were called and transported the employee to the ER.

October 18, (In a Campus Residence): A student called to report that they had hit their head and were worried about a concussion. WEMS and Campus Safety responded to the scene to evaluate the student. WEMS determined that no concussion had occurred and that the student did not require further
treatment.
October 18, (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call from a student asking to be transported to the ER. The student refused treatment from WEMS, stating that they just needed a ride because they believed their ankle was broken. The student was transported to the ER by Campus Safety.

POLICY VIOLATION

October 16, 11:55 p.m. (Matthews Hall): Campus Safety officers witnessed two students yelling at others to get off the roof. Using their flashlight, the officers were able to see roughly a dozen students fleeing from the roof into a Matthews residence. The officers made their way to that room and observed many students leaving the hallway. The officers questioned the students, and when the officers made contact with the occupants of the room, they denied all knowledge of anyone entering their room from the roof. After a conversation, the students admitted that they were lying, but were unwilling to give any information about the other students involved.

POSSESSION OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE

October 16, 11:35 p.m. (Matthews Hall): Campus Safety received a call regarding an intoxicated student. Officers arrived on scene and made contact with the student, who reported drinking an unknown quantity of alcohol, and said they had been vomiting. After a brief evaluation, the officers determined that the student did not need to go to the hospital.
October 18, 1:35 a.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): While on patrol, an officer witnessed someone smash a glass bottle on the ground. The officer made contact with an individual, who was quickly identified as a student. The student admitted to breaking the bottle on the ground and proceeded to pick up the pieces. The student admitted to drinking alcohol and being under 21 years of age.

October 19, 2:51 a.m. (Kaneko Commons): Campus Safety received a call regarding noise coming from residence. Officers attempted to make contact with the occupants. After multiple attempts, the officers keyed in to the room and met with the residents. Officers observed that there was alcohol in the room, as well as the smell of marijuana. While the officers were talking to the students, one of them began to feel very anxious, felt ill and ran to the bathroom. Officers continued the conversation with the two remaining students and found that only one of them was over 21. The student who was of age denied supplying any alcohol to the other two, and they also denied that any of them had been smoking marijuana. During the conversation, the third student began to shout at the officers and interrupt their conversation. The student continued to be aggressive and argumentative with the officers. After gathering all information, the officers evaluated the ill student and determined that they did not need further medical attention.

THEFT

October 12, 12:00 p.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): A student called to report that the front tire of their bike had been stolen. The bike had been locked up to the outdoor bike rack the night before. When the student returned the next day, the tire was gone.

October 13, 1:00 p.m. (Sparks Center): A student reported that their bike had been stolen. The bike had been locked to the bike rack while the student was inside Sparks. When the student returned an hour later, the bike was gone.

October 15, 7:24 p.m. (Law School): A student called to report that their jacket had been stolen. Their keys were inside their jacket. The student had left the jacket in the library while they went to class and, when they returned, it was gone.

October 18, 9:23 p.m. (Law School): A student reported that their rear bike tire had been stolen. The student locked the bike up in front of the Law school and, when they returned that evening, the tire was gone. The student reported that the bike had also been damaged.

October 7-12, 2014|
Information provided by Campus Safety
CRIMINAL MISCHIEF
October 11, 4:05 a.m. (Atkinson Annex): An officer discovered an emergency phone light lying on the ground. The light had been removed from its bracket and was found in the planter nearby. A work order was submitted to repair the light.
POLICY VIOLATION
October 7, 4:00 p.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): A student received their 21st parking citation, their third this school year. A report was forwarded to the Office of Rights and Responsibilities.
POSSESSION OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE
October 10, 9:13 p.m. (Lausanne Hall): Campus Safety received a report of the smell of marijuana. The officers arrived on scene and located the origin of the odor. After several attempts, the officers made contact with the residents of the room. After a brief conversation with the students, two containers with marijuana were handed over to the officers.
October 11, 2:57 a.m. (Haseldorf Apartments): Campus Safety received reports that someone was on the fire escape of the building. One report stated that they heard vomiting as well. The officers observed an individual hanging out of a window. The officers entered the building and encountered a strong smell of marijuana. The officers made contact with the residents, who admitted to smoking marijuana. One of the students also admitted to drinking earlier that night.
SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY
October 11, 2:15 p.m. (Matthews Hall): A student reported that someone had entered their room while they were sleeping. The student had gone back to their room to take a nap, and when they awoke, their roommate’s bed had been raised. The student reported that the bed was definitely much lower before they took their nap. The student stated that a work order had been placed to raise the bed, but no sign was put on the door, and the student was not woken while the work was being done. Campus Safety contacted the on-call maintenance manager in an attempt to locate who may have done the work.
SUSPICIOUS PERSON
October 7, 6:25 a.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a report of a suspicious male lying face down in the parking lot with his pants pulled down. The officer arrived on scene to speak with the individual. As soon as the officer made contact, the man got up and left campus. Later that morning, the officer received another report of a suspicious individual at TIUA. The officer arrived to find the same subject that was on campus earlier. Salem police were called, and the man was trespassed from campus.
THEFT
October 10, 2:00 p.m. (Matthews Hall): A student reported that the rear tire of their bike had been stolen. The student had left the bike locked up the previous evening. When they returned later that night, the bike tire was gone.

September 29-October 4, 2014|

Information provided by Campus Safety

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF

September 29, 7:28 a.m. (Mill Stream):  An officer discovered that the posts used to divert traffic from the south end of Doney were missing.  The officer later found that they had been placed upright in the Mill Stream near the north end of Goudy.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID

September 29, (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call that a student was experiencing severe pain. After a brief evaluation, the officer transported the student to the ER.

September 30, (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call that a student was not feeling well. The officer met with the student, who reported that several of their teammates were also feeling ill. After a brief evaluation, the student was transported to the ER for further treatment.

October 3, (In a Campus Residence):   Campus Safety received a call from Salem Police concerning the well-being of a student. They reported that a student had sent upsetting texts to a friend, who then called 911. Campus Safety met with police officers and made contact with the student at their room. The student answered their door and after a brief conversation, the officers learned that the student had consumed an unknown quantity of various pills.  An ambulance was called to transport the student to the ER.

POLICY VIOLATION

October 3, 11:00 p.m. (University Apartments): Campus Safety received a call regarding loud music coming from a residence.  The caller also reported that some sort of liquid was being poured out of the room’s window. Officers responded and attempted to make contact with the residents. Officers heard someone from inside call out “it’s campo” and then heard doors being slammed. Officers gained entry and told the students to turn the music down. The officers also asked why doors had been slammed and about the liquids being dumped out the window. The occupants of the room denied doing so.

SUSPICIOUS PERSON

October 4, 10:02 p.m. (Hatfield Fountain): Campus Safety received a call regarding a suspicious person following a student. Officer responded and attempted to locate the subject. Officers were able to locate the suspect, who was continuing to walk through campus, and asked if he had been following students. The suspect stated that he had not, but when asked a second time, he muttered that “she misinterpreted it.” After hearing this, officers trespassed the suspect from University property and escorted him off of campus.

THEFT

September 29, 4:30 p.m. (Lausanne Hall): A student report that their bike had been stolen from the basement of Lausanne. The bike had been left there over the summer and when the student returned to retrieve it, it was gone. Several days after reporting, the student found the bike in the bushes near Smullin Hall.

September 30, 6:53 p.m. (Bush Park):  A student called to report that their car had been broken in to and some items had been stolen. The student reported a backpack containing their laptop was taken, as well as their wallet. A friend of the student also had their ID card stolen from the vehicle. WITS was notified of the stolen laptop in an effort to track it.  Later that evening, WITS notified Campus Safety that the laptop had connected to the Internet near Hatfield Library and also connected in Sparks. The officer responded to the area, but was unable to locate anyone.

October 2, 2:33 p.m. (Ford Hall):  A student reported that their bike had been stolen.  The student had locked the bike up the night before and when they returned, the bike was gone and the cable lock had been cut.

VEHICLE ACCIDENT

October 2, 3:30 p.m. (Blue Parking Lot):  Campus Safety received a call that a Willamette Van had backed up in to another vehicle, and had taken off. Officers viewed the damage to the victim’s vehicle. The owner was notified of the minor damage sustained to their bumper.  Campus Safety also spoke with Maintenance to determine which group had the van that afternoon.

September 22-26, 2014|

Information provided by Campus Safety

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF

September 23, 11:25 a.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): A student reported that someone had attempted to break into their car. The officer went with the student to survey the damage to the car and found that the driver’s side lock had been pried to the point of breaking, but no entry to the vehicle had been made.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID

September 22, (Off Campus): Campus Safety received a call regarding the wellbeing of a student. The student stated that they were having problems and requested help. The officer drove to the student’s house and transported them to the ER for further medical attention.

September 23, (In a Campus Residence):  A student called to report that they had cut their hand. The student requested transportation to the ER because they had lost a lot of blood and they were feeling light-headed. The officer on duty met with the student and transported them to the ER.

September 26, (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a report that a student had broken a window and cut open their hand. The officer spoke with the injured student, who was attempting to close the lounge door when their hand slipped through one of the glass panes. The student stated that they didn’t need any further medical attention. Facilities Services was called to clean up the area.

September 26, (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call that a student was highly intoxicated and had passed out. The officer arrived to evaluate the student and was unable to wake them. The officer called 911 and paramedics arrived to evaluate the student. The student refused any further service and the paramedics determined that the student was well enough to take care of themselves.

POLICY VIOLATION

September 25, 3:00 p.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): A student received their 12th parking citation, their third this semester.  A report was forwarded to the Office of Rights and Responsibilities.

September 26, 10:57 a.m. (University Center): Campus Safety received reports that a student was hanging over the second floor balcony of the University Center.  When the officers arrived, the student was standing on the outside of the railing, holding on with only one hand and swinging back and forth.  Upon seeing the officers, the student immediately hopped back over the railing and went inside the building.  The student questioned the officer’s directive, refusing to believe that the officers could stop the student. Throughout the conversation, the student continued to ask what authority they had to stop them. A short while later, one of the officers passed by the same student who began yelling at the officer and harassing her.

SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY

September 26, 10:28 a.m. (Online):  A student came in to the office to report that they were being harassed online. The student stated that they were conducting a study for their class, and was using Twitter to send out a survey.  Shortly after setting this up, the student received a large number of threats on their life. Later that day, the student received a threatening email, suggesting that the survey data was going to be tampered with.

THEFT

September 22, 1:54 p.m. (Belknap Hall): A student came in to report that a bike tire had been stolen from their bike. The student reported seeing the bike intact that morning, but when they returned that afternoon, the tire was gone.

September 23, 3:00 p.m. (Southwood Hall): A student came in to report that their bike had been stolen during the past weekend. The bike had been locked up outside near Montag with a cable lock.  When the student returned to use the bike, the lock had been cut and the bike was gone

September 15-21, 2014

Information provided by Campus Safety

ACCIDENT

September 17, 5:45 p.m. (Willamette River): Campus Safety received a call from the Crew team who were practicing on the river. During practice, they hit a gravel bar. They were unable to re-launch their boat into the water due to the current.  Both boats were pulled up onto a sandbar in the middle of the river and 911 was called to retrieve the students and coach from the river.

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF

September 17, 2:15 p.m. (York House):  Campus Safety received a report that the York pingpong table was damaged.  The officer observed that one side of the table had been broken and was no longer usable.  A work order was placed to remove the table.

September 19, 3:20 p.m. (Lausanne Hall): Campus Safety received a report that some trash and personal items had been thrown outside of a room and onto the ground outside. Officers took pictures of the evidence.  A work order was placed to clean up the trash and other items.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID

September 17 (In a Campus Residence):  Campus Safety received a call regarding the wellbeing of a student. Officers arrived on the scene to speak with the student. The student stated that they were having difficulties and requested help, but were unsure if their insurance would cover it. After checking with the student’s insurance company, the student was transported to the ER for further medical attention.

September 19, (In an Academic Building): Campus Safety received a call that a student was having vision problems and requested that they be taken to the ER.  The officer arrived on scene and the student reported that they had blurred vision and a temporary blind spot in one eye.  The student was transported to the ER by Campus Safety.

September 20, (In a Campus Residence):   Campus Safety received a call that a student was intoxicated and unresponsive.  Officers found the student sleeping on their bed. After a brief evaluation, officers called 911 for paramedics to evaluate the student. They arrived and determined that the student needed further medical attention. The student was transported to Salem Hospital.

MINOR IN POSSESSION

September 19, 10:25 p.m. (University Apartments Parking Lot):  While in route to another call, Campus Safety officers witnessed a student placing something underneath a car before quickly trying to leave the area. The officers caught up to the student and began questioning their actions. The student initially gave the officers a false name and denied all knowledge of trying to hide something underneath a car. The officers smelled alcohol. Once confronted about lying, the student gave his real name and told the officers about the beer cans that he put under the car.

September 8-11, 2014

Information provided by Campus Safety

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF

September 8, 8:55 a.m. (Doney Hall):  Campus Safety received a call about a vandalized toilet. The officer responded and observed a toilet that had been stuffed with paper towels so that it could not be flushed properly.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL AID

September 11, 7:07 p.m. (Goudy Commons): Campus Safety received a call stating that a student was having an allergic reaction to some food and required emergency assistance. Salem Fire Department was called and the officers were dispatched to the scene. It was determined that the student required further attention and was taken to the ER by the ambulance.

POSSESSION OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE

September 8, 12:03 a.m. (York House):  Campus Safety received a call regarding the smell of marijuana coming from a residence room. The officer located the origin of the smell and made contact with the owner of the room. Upon entering the room, the officer observed a pipe on the windowsill as well as a glass jar with marijuana inside. After a brief conversation, the student gave the paraphernalia to the officer.

September 9, 11:00 p.m. (University Apartments): Campus Safety received a call regarding the smell of marijuana coming from a room. The officer attempted to make contact with the resident, but the resident tried to leave the room, slamming the door behind them. The student then tried to push pass the officer, in an attempt to leave the building. When the officer tried to stop him and asked for their ID, the student became aggressive and refused to give over their ID. After a brief conversation, the officer entered the room with the student, which smelled strongly of marijuana. The student denied smoking and stated that someone else had been smoking.

September 11, 2:06 p.m. (Haseldorf Apartments): Campus Safety received a report concerning the welfare of a student. The reporting party stated that the student was acting very strangely while on their way to class. When asked if they were OK, the student reported that they were “high on meth.” After taking the witness’ information, the officer went to the room of the student to conduct a welfare check. After knocking repeatedly, the officer entered the room and observed multiple candles as well as a pipe next to a small bag containing a white substance.  The student was located and reported that they were high on meth, and that the bag of white substance was meth as well.  The student was transported to the ER for evaluation. Salem Police was contacted and an officer arrived to confiscate the evidence.

THEFT

September 8, 3:51 p.m. (Matthews Hall):  A student came in to the office to report that their bike had been stolen. The owner reported that they had locked their bike up overnight and when they returned the next day, the bike was gone and the lock had been cut.

September 9, 10:30 a.m. (Matthews Hall): A student came in to the office to report that their bike had been stolen.  The student reported seeing the bike all through the last week, but the bike was missing that morning.

September 9, 5:59 p.m. (Matthews Hall):   A student came in to the office to report that their bike had been stolen. The student reported leaving the bike attached to the rail and, when they came back out a few minutes later, the bike was gone.

SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY

September 19, 9:50 p.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a report that a group of students were drinking and breaking bottles in the Sparks parking lot. The caller reported seeing several vehicles drive up and numerous people get out and start drinking. The officers arrived on scene and the caller pointed out a group thatwas leaving the area.  The students reported that the group consisted of current students as well as alumni and provided names of the known people.  The students were unsure of who had broken the bottles.

THEFT

September 15, 11:40 a.m. (Pi Beta Phi):  A student came into the office to report that their bike had been stolen. The student had locked the bike up in front of their house, and when they returned the next morning, the bike was gone.

September 15, 3:35 p.m. (University Center):  A student reported that their wallet had been stolen. The student reported forgetting the wallet in the Bistro the previous week.  Since that time, their debit card had been used to make a purchase.  The student has since cancelled their bank cards.

September 16, 10:25 a.m. (Kaneko Commons):  A student came in to the office to report that their bike had been stolen. The bike had been locked up on the bike rack outside with a cable lock. When the student came back the next day, the lock had been cut and the bike was gone.

September 16, 12:35 p.m. (Off Campus):  An employee called to report that their Willamette laptop had been stolen from their vehicle. The employee was unsure where the theft had occurred, but there was no sign of forced entry on their vehicle.

September 16, 4:00 p.m. (Downtown Salem):   A student came in to the office to report that their car had been broken into while downtown. A number of things were stolen from the vehicle, including the student’s ID card and keys. Shortly before the report, Campus Safety received a call from an off-campus individual, stating that they had found the student’s ID card. The student was advised to file a report with Salem Police Department.  The next day, the student’s card was turned in to a Willamette employee by an unknown person.

September 18, 11:30 a.m. (Sparks Field): A student came in to the office to report that their bike had been stolen. They had locked the bike up with a cable lock and when they returned the next morning, the bike lock had been cut, and the bike was gone.