Home2017-2018Celebrate the season with these local events

Celebrate the season with these local events

By Emma Giron

Fall is officially here! Many people have awaited the changing of the leaves, chilling of the air and the overall fall energy that takes over. If you are looking for ways to celebrate the fall festivities, look no further. Below are upcoming events in the Salem area that are going on specifically to celebrate the arrival of fall. Some of these events are hosted by Willamette, but not all of them. Please read closely to see if transportation will be provided.

The Corn Maize on Sauvie Island

All of October (Sunday-Thursday 10a.m. – 6p.m., Friday-Saturday 10a.m.-10p.m.)

16511 NW Gillihan Rd, Portland, OR 97231

The Corn Maize offers visitors five acres (two hectares) of exciting twists and turns. However it’s not all about getting lost in nature; two 16-foot observation bridges provide picturesque panoramas with great views of the island and Mount Hood, as well as the maze itself.

Red Dress Dance

Oct 14 (8p.m.-11p.m.)

Cat Cavern

Red Dress Dance is a fun way to support Women’s Heart Health and the Alpha Phi Foundation. The night will be filled with music, dancing and raffles. Red is admired but not required.

Pumpkin Patch Palooza

Oct 15  (11a.m.-3p.m.)

12989 Howell Prairie Rd NE, Gervais, OR 97026

Grab your boots, scarves and coats; WEB will provide transportation to Bauman’s Farm for their Harvest Festival and pay for your admission to the event. Feel free to bring additional cash to enjoy the other activities available. Meet at the chicken fountain at 11a.m. for the bus, which will return to campus around 3p.m. Come along for some fall fun!

Shakespeare on a Budget

Oct 21  (11a.m.-11p.m.)

241 Hargadine St., Ashland, OR 97520

Join alumni, current students and theater professor Bobby Brewer-Wallin at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland for two extraordinary plays at an unbeatable price. Professor Brewer will give a brief talk on the plays’ themes, costumes and scene design and explain how all the elements come together to create magic on the stage. A catered group lunch is also included as part of the package. There is an add-on event on Friday, Oct. 20. Come down to Ashland a night before the outing at the Shakespeare Festival for a lovely multiple-course dinner and a production of “Baskerville” at the Oregon Cabaret Theatre.

Main Festival Package: $100

Add-on Event: $68

Contact: Kim Burris

(kburris@willamette.edu, 503-370-6430)

West Coast Giant Pumpkin Regatta

October 21  (10a.m.-4p.m.)

8325 SW Nyberg St, Tualatin, OR 97062

A Halloween themed regatta where anyone can sit inside a giant pumpkin and race across a lake dressed in a Halloween costume. On dry land, a costume contest, live music, face painting, pumpkin carving, pie eating contest and pumpkin golf will keep the laughs coming at this free, family-friendly event.

Mt. Pisgah Arboretum Mushroom Festival

Oct 29 (10a.m.-5p.m.)

34901 Frank Parrish Rd, Eugene, OR 97405

Eugene spotlights the richness of Oregon mushrooms with cooking demonstrations, plant, mushroom and art sales, guided nature walks and food from local vendors. People will love the hayrides, apple pressing and arts and crafts. Enjoy live music, hay rides, face painting and a scarecrow contest.

Hauntcert: University Chamber Orchestra/Wind Ensemble Concert

Oct 29 (3p.m.-5p.m.)

Hudson Hall

The orchestra will be in costume as conductor Hector Aguero leads the performance of Halloween favorites from popular music, the classics and film scores. Included in the program are Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” Mussorgsky’s “Night on Bald Mountain,” selections from “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” and the theme from “Swan Lake” by Tchaikovsky. Audience members are encouraged to wear their costumes.

egiron@willamette.edu