Home2017-2018“Consent is” campaign

“Consent is” campaign

By Heather Pearson

As our nation and campus continue to reckon with news of sexual misconduct, institutions are working to provide adequate resources and support for survivors of interpersonal violence. For universities, this means complying with Title IX. In order to receive federal financial assistance, universities must “protect students and employees from unlawful sexual harassment in school programs and activities, as well as sexual assault, which are both forms of unlawful discrimination under Title IX.” This requires them to prohibit discrimination based on gender, including sexual violence.

For those interested in how Title IX functions at Willamette, Convocation this Thursday at 11:30 in Cone Chapel will teach “what Title IX is, the process for investigating and adjudicating sexual misconduct at Willamette, and the resources Willamette offers to folks impacted by sexual harassment or violence.” Additionally, Title IX Coordinator Jade Aguilar will introduce new Title IX staff members, including Jackie Leung and Andrea Doyle Hugmeyer. Doyle Hugmeyer is the university’s new Confidential Advocate.

Doyle Hugmeyer steps into a position previously filled by Carli Rohner, who left in October. Rohner now works as Campus Advocate Coordinator for SATF, the Oregon Attorney General’s Sexual Assault Task Force. In her new position, she works with both public and private universities statewide to “identify best practices and provide technical assistance and training for professional advocates and student advocacy programs.” Until Hugmeyer’s arrival, Rohner’s position was unfilled.

As a confidential advocate, Andrea can assist individuals with issues or instances of sexual or gender-based harassment, sexual or gender-based stalking, interpersonal violence, sexual exploitation and/or non-consensual sexual contact or intercourse. She also serves as a resource for occurrences of non-sexual harassment, such as those based on “race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age or disability.” She can help Willamette community members to understand and access resources, navigate their rights and options, and assist with contacting off-campus medical care or police, and does not share information brought to her and speaking with her will not initiate a Title IX process through the university. Other confidential resources on-campus include Bishop Wellness Center, the Chaplains and SARAs.

Last semester, Lori Johnson, Director of Rights and Responsibilities, also left Willamette. As of November, university reports stated that the position is being reconfigured and a search to fill her spot will occur this Spring.

A new awareness campaign, ‘Consent Is’ has also been announced. This program is designed to educate students about consent. More information can be found at Goudy on Wednesday February 7th at 11 AM. This is put on by WU’s Prevention Educator, Jackie Leung. Leung is another new hire who is helping to fill Rohner’s position, and will focus on prevention programming.

Additionally, for those interested in procedure surrounding Title IX procedures and policies, there is an upcoming opportunity to become a Title IX volunteer. Individuals can volunteer as process advisors or hearing administrators for student conduct hearings. The Title IX training for these positions will occur on February 13th from 11:30 A.M. to 1 P.M. in Autzen Conference Room. If interested, individuals can contact the OSA at 503-370-6447 or email conduct@willamette.edu.

hpearson@willamette.edu