Home2017-2018Coping with Vegas and Puerto Rico

Coping with Vegas and Puerto Rico

By Madelyn Jones
Lifestyles Editor

I have been trying to find the words for describe how horrific world events have been this year, but everything seems to fall short.

I have been struggling with the balance of keeping informed while staying happy and productive, and I know I am not alone in this. This column is going to appear weekly in The Collegian to explore how to cope and keep functioning amidst all of the world news.

Last week, the Las Vegas shooting became the deadliest mass shooting in the history of the United States. Grappling with this tragedy in many ways is impossible, so I have focused energy on educating myself on how to stop something like this from happening again.

It is time to call and email our representatives about the importance of gun control legislation. It is important for them to know it is something many of their people think is a top priority.

Recent developments with Republican proposed health care bills have shown us that our representatives do listen. Republican Senators Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski and John McCain all voted against Trumpcare and their party, even in the face of potential negative consequences to their careers, to listen to their people’s concerns.

This shows that our voices do matter and can sway the decisions of our politicians. However, we cannot be listened to if we do not speak up.

One easy way you can do this is by texting ‘RESIST’ to 50409, which will contact the service Resistbot. Resistbot will discover who your representatives are and whatever message you text will be sent to them. This is an easy process that lets you contact your representatives whenever you want.

Another recent tragedy is the devastation of Puerto Rico by Hurricane Maria. What is even more heartbreaking is President Trump’s disregard for the situation. Therefore donations to organizations that will help are greatly needed, even more than usual.

A $28 donation to UNICEF “will provide a kit containing basic, essential supplies” to the people in need, as described on their website. Their website also makes sure to highlight that “90 percent of every dollar spent goes directly to helping children.”

Another organization is the Hispanic Federation. To donate, you can text the number 41444 with “UNIDOS (space) YOUR AMOUNT (space) and YOUR NAME,” as explained on their website.

I know most of the people reading this are college students who might not be able to donate, but you can still do your part with creating awareness for people who do have the means to.

The point of this column is that I think the best way to cope with extremely hard to handle news is to do whatever you can to make change. This way you can remind yourself that while most of it is out of your hands, you are doing good with what you can control.

If you have any subjects you want to talked about or any suggestions of ways to help, feel free to email me at the address below.

mgjones@willamette.edu