Home2017-2018Does Bo & Vine Burger “beef” the rest?

Does Bo & Vine Burger “beef” the rest?

By Emma Giron

If you are looking for an upscale burger joint that has a similar vibe to Archive Coffee and Bar, then Bo & Vine is the place to go. This new local restaurant, located in downtown Salem near the corner of Liberty and Court Street, opened this past summer on June 2, 2017.

Owners Mike Adams, Matt Adams and Brian Kaufman created this restaurant to “spotlight historic downtown Salem’s growing foodie scene.”

Their menu offers a variety of salads, chicken entrees, grass-fed burgers and special sides. Burgers, such as the “Capital,” with a balsamic-glazed Portobello mushroom cap, sun-dried tomato, spring mix lettuce and house made hummus on a vegan bun attempt to create an upscale comfort of home. You can even have a “Willamette” burger, made with goat cheese crumbles, smoked bacon, house made sweet chili sauce, caramelized onion, balsamic reduction and spring mix lettuce.

If you are 21 or older, Bo & Vine offers a number of beers on tap, wine and even a Stout & Cream handcrafted shake with stout, Irish cream, chocolate drizzle, whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings. The restaurant prides itself on locality for carrying local and seasonal selections of taps and wines. You can pair your beverage with one of their signature “piles,” fries topped with creative flavors such as “Dante’s Inferno,” a Cajun blend of house made pepper jack beer cheese, fresh jalapeños, ranch and sriracha drizzle.

So far the restaurant has been rated by 149 Google reviewers who aggregately rate the hamburger restaurant 4.2 stars out of 5.

One of the top raters commented, “We love this place. The hamburgers are amazing. They are a little pricey for the area, but well worth it. The meat is delicious.” The reviewer recommended the Mad Hawaiian burger with grilled pineapple, grilled spam and fresh jalapeño-cilantro slaw.

Some negative reviews complained the restaurant was overcrowded and overpriced. Unfortunately for those customers, a new restaurant is bound to leave its guests on a pretty long wait list. However, this sign of popularity most likely means it’s worth checking out. Bo & Vine also has an online ordering option available in case you prefer that to calling in.

The place is more expensive compared to other burger joints such as Five Guys. At Bo & Vine you can expect to spend $8-12 on a burger with your side of fries or other potato options running from $3-7. They do offer a number of vegan and vegetarian protein options such as black bean and sweet potato patties.

You can follow Bo & Vine on Facebook, Bo & Vine Burger Bar and Instagram, @boandvine, where they regularly post seasonally themed specials, meet the staff videos and upcoming discounts. On their website you can subscribe to their listserv to view their secret menu, an update of their latest creations and food announcements. Open Monday-Saturday from 11 a.m. -10 p.m. and closed Sunday’s. Bring friends for their “Social Hours,” 3-5 p.m. and 8 p.m. to closing time for a number of discounted options on food and alcoholic beverages.

egiron@willamette.edu