During spring break Bearcat Softball wins two games

Apr 4th, 2018 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Sports

By Eric Del Prado
Sports Editor

The Willamette softball team started their spring break in Spokane, Washington playing Whitworth University. The Bearcats’ games on Saturday were cancelled due to weather. On Sunday, the Bearcats lost to the Whitworth Pirates by a score of 8-0 in both games.

Sophomore outfielder and pitcher Jocelyn Glasgo led the way offensively for the Bearcats, hitting a double in the first game and a triple in the second game. Glasgo pitched for the Bearcats in the first game and junior pitcher Reanna Lancaster pitched the second game.

On Tuesday March 27 the team headed to Pomona-Pitzer College to take on the Sagehens. The Sagehens took both of the games, but not without a fight from the Bearcats. In game 1, the Bearcats lost by a score of 2-0. Glasgo threw a complete game and did not allow an earned run. First year Danielle Koontz led the way offensively in game one as she walked and hit a double. The second game saw the Sagehens get out to a 7-0 lead. The Bearcats battled back and were able to pull within 2 runs, losing the game by a score of 7-5. The Bearcats scored four runs in the fifth inning. Sophomore Kea Grier hit a homerun to center field, Glasgo hit a two run triple and sophomore Sofia Magnani knocked in Glasgo with a single.

The Bearcats were not able to defeat St. Katherine’s in two games on Wednesday. In game one, Willamette took a 2-1 lead in the third inning when sophomore catcher Olivia Scott and Koontz scored. The lead did not last long, as St. Katherine’s scored two runs in the fourth and then added on more runs later in the game. In game two, the score was tied at 3 through two innings, but the could not capitalize with runners in scoring position late in the game.

On Friday the Bearcats returned to Salem to take on the Pacific Lutheran Lutes in four Northwest Conference games. The Bearcats started the weekend with two wins on Friday. Game one went extra innings and the Bearcats won when first year Breianna Mcleod scored due to an error by Pacific Lutheran. Glasgo threw all eight innings for the Bearcats surrendering 12 hits, but only allowing four runs to score. Offensively, the Bearcats were led by first year Bailey Hillmick who was two for three and Mcleod who went two for two. In game two the Bearcats jumped out to an early 3-0 lead. After Pacific Lutheran scored four runs to take the lead going into the fifth inning. The Bearcats took the lead again on a Glasgo single that knocked in junior Emily Bishop and Mcleod. With the game tied again in the bottom of the sixth inning Grier hit a double to center field to give the Bearcats the lead. The Bearcats won the game by a score of 7-5.

On Saturday the Lutes were able to defeat the Bearcats by scores of 4-2 and 12-4. The Bearcats are now 5-20 overall and 5-13 in Northwest Conference play. They will play four games at the University of Puget Sound this weekend.

edelprad@willamette.edu