Get your sweat on in the Salem area

Nov 5th, 2017 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Lifestyles

By Emma Giron

Many students utilize the Sparks facility for weekly, if not daily exercise. With a pool, machines, classes and a small climbing wall, students have a lot of resources at their hands. However, there are a few extra specialties that the gym does not offer. For those with niche workout interests, here is a list of alternative facilities you may want to check out in Salem.

Warm Yoga

While there isn’t a hot yoga gym in Salem, there is warm yoga. Hot yoga is a style of yoga performed in hot and humid conditions, typically Bikram yoga, sometimes at temperatures of 105 degrees Fahrenheit. However, gyms such as Indigo Yoga Studio warm the room and lead their classes through body strengthening poses.

Indigo Fitness

Indigo Yoga Studio is one of the premier yoga studios in the Mid-Willamette Valley. They offer weekly yoga and Pilates classes, workshops and community events.

Hours: Vary depending on the class.

Address: 320 Liberty St SE, Salem, Oregon

Membership Costs: student (8 visits per month) – $49, drop-in class- $10, new to Indigo pass (30 Days Unlimited) – $49

OPEN 24 HRS

For those looking for an after hour facility, here are a number of gyms in the Salem community.

24 Hour Fitness

This gym offers personal training, yoga and zumba classes. There is also a pool with additional pool conditioning workouts. 2.7 miles from campus.

Address: 451 Lancaster Drive NE Salem, OR 97301

Membership Cost: $30 a month

Planet Fitness

This gym prides itself on being a “judgment free zone,” welcoming all different levels of fitness. 4.1 miles from campus.

Address: 2787 Lancaster Dr. NE, Salem OR

Membership Cost: $10-22 a month

Snap Fitness

This gym is great for college students because they do not require you to sign a contract, so there is not a long-term, binding agreement. 3.8 miles from campus.

Address: 4555 Liberty Rd. Suite #390, Salem OR

Membership Cost: $40 a month

SPECIALTY GYMS

Below are the descriptions of some facilities that are not structred like Sparks or other standard gyms.

The Rock Boxx

The Rock Boxx is a family friendly rock climbing gym. They offer climbing instruction and programs for kids, and have a party room that can be rented out for any occasion. The room can hold up to 24 people and includes climbing passes.

On weekdays the room is $165 for the first 10 people and $8 per additional person up to 24. On the weekends the room is $195 for the first 10 people and $8 per additional person up to 24. They also have an on-site tap house which serves many delicious local craft beers, wines and ciders.

Hours: Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Address: 3895 Cascadia Canyon Ave SE suite# 110, Salem, OR 97302

Membership Cost: student day pass -$11, 10 day punch card – $99, 1 month pass $55

Combat Sports Center

They offer kids classes, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) fundamental classes focusing on drilling technique, advanced BJJ classes to practice combination drilling as well as rolling/sparring and No Gi Jiu-Jitsu classes focused on flow grappling and submission.

Hours: varies per class.

Address: 1790 16th St SE, 97302”

egiron@willamette.edu