Home2018-2019How to celebrate Easter in the Salem area

How to celebrate Easter in the Salem area

Claire Alongi,

As is often the case, the month after Spring Break flies by before you even realize it’s gone. It may come as a surprise that the end of April is fast approaching, and Easter is right around the corner. For some, Easter is a religiously significant holiday and for others, it’s a chance to imagine a large anthropomorphic rabbit hiding eggs in their backyard. For some people, it’s just another Sunday. Regardless of your stance on Easter, here are some things you can look into doing depending on how you think you might want to spend the holiday.

While Easter has been turned into a money-making machine of pastel eggs, chicks, bunnies and chocolates, it does have roots as a religious holiday commemorating the resurrection of Jesus, marking the end of Lent. For those who wish to celebrate the more traditionally religious side of Easter, there are several activites available in the area. There are more than a handful of churches within reasonable walking or driving distance from Willamette. One such church is the First United Methodist Church, located at 600 State Street. This church is right down the street and most WU students have walked by the iconic white spired church one time or another. The church will be hosting an 8:45 a.m. Easter Sunday service, followed by food and games.

For those less interested in the religious side of the holiday, there are also secular options. The most popular and plentiful Easter pastime is Easter egg hunting. The closest Easter egg hunt to WU is occurring on April 20 at Salem First Presbyterian, located at 770 Chemeketa St NE for children 11 and under. The free event, titled Easterpalooza, will also include breakfast and carnival games for the whole family, according to Salempc.org.

If you’re interesting in helping to set up an egg hunt and bringing joy to egg huntees, you can sign up for this week’s Service Saturday, put on by Community Service Learning (CSL). Volunteers will be helping local charity Shangri-La by “decorating event [the] space, assisting guests with parking and checking in, and hiding Easter eggs!” according to the event description.

For something more lowkey, hard boil eggs and paint them yourself. Dorm living (and potential rain) isn’t exactly conducive to egg hunting, but with some friends and a bit of imagination, something is bound to work out.

Of course, there’s no pressure to celebrate Easter in any shape. For a lot of people, it will just be another Sunday. Even if that’s the case, don’t be afraid to take advantage of the discount candies, chocolates and marshmallow Peeps that will go on sale after Easter has come and gone. Lent is over after all, and a chocolate rabbit (or two) is an excellent way to enjoy the end of the semester.

clalongi@willamette.edu