Home2018-2019Lacrosse breaks even over the weekend

Lacrosse breaks even over the weekend

Jack Kuyper,

This weekend the women’s lacrosse team played two games and broke even, winning one and losing one. WU overcame its first game against Whitworth University in Spokane, WA on April 6, but fell to Whitman College in Walla Walla, WA on April 7.

The team excelled against Whitworth with sophomore Anabel Oshman and first-year Miranda Piros scoring five goals each. It took Oshman less than a minute to win the first draw and get control of the ball and to score a goal. First-year Laura Kelly tacked on another goal a few minutes later. Kelly’s goal was followed by junior Emmett Blaney, who scored a free-position shot at the 25th minute. Whitworth retaliated with a four-point surge that led to a score of 4-3 about halfway through the first half.

Oshman was involved in the next three goals as the Bearcats took back their four-point margin for a 7-3 lead. Oshman hit a goal and later earned an assisted on a goal that was scored by sophomore Alanya Newland. Six minutes passed without either team scoring, but then Oshman earned her third goal of the game with an assist from Newland. The Pirates produced a goal just 29 seconds later. Oshman kept pushing and scored once again with less than five minutes left in the half to bring the score to 8-4. The Pirates cut the lead to 8-5 on a goal just before halftime.

About three minutes into the second half, Shay Clark of Whitworth was given her second yellow card, resulting in an ejection from the game. Piros scored the first goal of the second half, further increasing WU’s lead. This gave WU a 9-5 advantage and started a 4-0 surge that pushed WU to win the game. Three of these goals came from Piros with the last one coming from Oshman. The Pirates pulled within three points after scoring five goals in a row but Piros’ final goal and WU’s defense held Whitworth off for the win, 13-9. WU improved to 4-6 overall and 2-3 in the Northwest Conference (NWC). Whitworth fell to 0-8 overall and 0-5 in the NWC.

In the win over Whitworth University, the Bearcats outshot the Pirates while also committing 14 fewer fouls than Whitworth
PC: Robert White

“We are happy with the outcome, but we did not play our best game,” Willamette Head Coach Sarah Lautenbach said in a post-game interview with Robert McKinney. “Our expectations are to execute in games the same way we do in practice, and we struggled to do that today. Whitworth came ready to play and fought hard all over the field. We saved ourselves by coming up with some key draws along with a few big saves by Kara Phillips. We will look to improve on what we learned from today.” Senior Kara Phillips amassed nine saves on Whitworth’s 18 shots on goal.

In the second game against Whitman, the efforts of Sage Ali of Whitman lifted the Blues past the Bearcats, 20-2. Ali started the scoring, breaking the 0-0 tie less than one minute into the game. Blaney answered on a free position shot followed by a goal from first-year Victoria Glidden just 37 seconds later to take a 2-1 lead. However, after these two goals, Whitman shut down the Bearcats for the rest of the game. The Blues ended the first half with eight unanswered goals to make the score 10-2.

10 additional goals in the second half solidified the win. Ohsman was the only other player who had a shot on goal aside from Blaney and Glidden. Ali amassed five goals for the Blues. Phillips earned 10 saves for the Bearcats and currently holds an average of 8.7 saves per game. Whitman improved its overall record to 5-3 and 3-1 in the NWC. WU dropped to 4-7 overall and 2-4 in the NWC.

The Bearcat’s next game will occur today Wednesday, April 10 against the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, WA. Game time is set for 4 p.m. (PST).

jlkuyper@willamette.edu

Feature Photo: Senior goalkeeper Kara Phillips is averaging 8.7 saves per game but managed to amass 19 saves over the weekend against Whitworth and Whitman
PC: Robert White