Home2018-2019Men and women’s tennis break even

Men and women’s tennis break even

Jarin Kobashigawa,
Sports Editor

The men and women’s tennis teams both went 1-1 over the weekend against two Northwest Conference teams. The men’s team scraped by University of Puget Sound (UPS) on Saturday, March 16, but fell to Pacific Lutheran University (PLU) on Sunday, March 17. The women’s team had the opposite experiences, losing against UPS and then beating PLU.

The men’s team won one doubles match and four singles matches to edge their way past UPS, 5-4. In doubles, juniors Colin Fisher and Gene Perle-Jones defeated Ben Colson and Aiden Velasco, 8-3, for WU’s only doubles win. Senior Aaron Schecter and first-year Andrew Kabacy fell to Riley Inn and Joshua Wah-Blumberg in a highly competitive game, 8-5. Sophomore Luke Hiserman and first-year Charles Pezeshki lost in an even closer game, 8-6, against Lowell Hutton and Graham Byron.

Kabacy set the tempo in singles with a 6-4 and 6-1 victory over Inn. Schecter followed Kabacy’s lead and beat Wah-Blumberg 7-5 in the first set and 6-2 in the second. Fisher defeated Colson with ease in his singles match, 6-1 and 6-2. Perle-Jones lost the first set against Velasco 6-2 but came back in the second set, 5-7. The match went to the tie-breaking set, where Perle-Jones lost 7-5. Hiserman fell 6-0 and 6-3 to Hutton, which tied the match for UPS. Pezeshki won the match for the Bearcats, beating Byron 6-0 and 6-4.

The women’s team fought hard and did not allow any easy wins, but were unable to prevail in the end, as UPS won 6-3. In doubles, WU won one of three games with senior Hannah Andres and sophomore Siena Ginsburg beating Alexis Choy and Avery Honaker 8-7 (7-5). Sophomores Robin Pashek and Sarah Dean were defeated by Nicole Bouche and Bridget Myers, 8-2. Senior Alexis Gjurasic and sophomore Sylvia Marr suffered a tough loss against Barclay Fagg and Lia Van Steeter, 8-6.

In singles, Dean lost against Bouche, 6-2 and 6-4. Pashek lost the first set but won the second against Fagg, 6-4 and 1-6. Fagg swept Pashek in the final set 6-0 to win the match. Myers won against Ginsburg, 6-3 and 7-5. Marr brought home a win for the Bearcats with her win against Van Steeter, 2-6, 6-1 and 6-4. Gjurasic lost to Honaker 6-1 and 7-6 (7-5), but Andres won the final match of the series 7-6 (7-3) in both sets.

The women’s team commanded a win against Pacific Lutheran, winning their doubles matches 2-1 and singles 4-2 for a 6-3 final score. Dean and Pashek won the first doubles match against Hannah Jefferies and Bayley Gochanour, 8-5. Marr and Gjurasic won the next match against Kristi Floyd and Michelle Batin, 8-3. Kylie Rademacher and Lauren Kearney came back for PLU to win against Ginsburg and Andres, 8-3.

Dean started the singles matches with a win against Jefferies 6-1 and 7-6 (7-4). PLU’s Gochanour answered back with a win against Pashek, 6-4 and 6-0. Ginsburg won the next against Floyd with a score of 6-4 in both sets. Rademacher defeated Marr in an extremely close match, 6-2, 5-7 and 1-0 (10-5). Gjurasic and Andres brought home the win for WU in the last two matches with their victories over Kearney and Batin.

The men’s team won the first two singles matches but lost the remaining ones, leading to their 6-3 loss to PLU. Kabacy and Schecter won their matches against Michael Campbell and Justin Demattos, respectively. It was the duo of Kabacy and Schecter that won the Bearcats the only doubles match of the day. They played against Campbell and Marcus Lee and won 8-6.

The women’s team will head to California over spring break to play against Whittier College, Hope International University, Occidental University and Colby University. The men’s team will also travel to California but will be playing against Foothills College, Holy Names and Chabot College.

jtkobashigawa@willamette.edu