Home2017-2018Men’s and Women’s tennis gain solid wins

Men’s and Women’s tennis gain solid wins

By Dani Saunders

The men’s and women’s tennis teams took on the University of Puget Sound on Saturday, March 10 and Pacific Lutheran University on Sunday, March 11.

The men’s tennis team had a close victory over Puget Sound with a match score 5-4. Riley Inn of Puget Sound barely got the win over sophomore Gene Perle-Jones with set scores of 6-3 and 7-5 in #2 singles.

Junior Aaron Schechter had a match win over Joe McRoberts of Puget Sound with scores of 1-6, 6-4 and 6-0. Sophomore Colin Fisher saw success in his #3 singles match with scores of 6-2 and 6-3. First year Owen Burchman fell short in his #4 singles match against Lowell Hutton with scores of 6-1 and 6-3. Luke Hiserman and Endy Zarate added wins to the Bearcat score in the #5 and #6 singles matches. All three doubles matches were competitive with a tie-breaker of the #3 doubles, a tight win in #2 doubles with Perle-Jones and Burchman, and a close loss in #1 doubles. At the end of the day, the men’s tennis team came out on top with a victory of 5-4 over the Loggers.

The women’s team had four losses out of their six singles matches on theMarch 10. The #4 match saw a victory for first year Sylvia Marr with scores of 6-3 and 6-4. First year Siena Ginsberg had a tie breaker for her #5 singles match, and came out with a victory as well with scores of 6-1, 7-6 and 7-4. The Bearcats fell short in the other four matches with Mikaila Smith at #1 with scores of 4-6, 6-1, and 6-1, Robin Pasek at #2 with scores of 7-5, 2-6 and 6-1, Sarah Dean at #3 with scores of 7-5, 3-6 and 6-4 and Hannah Andres at #6 with scores of 6-1, 4-6, and 7-5. The Loggers won two out of the three doubles matches in the #1 and #2 matches but fell short to Ginsberg and junior Alexis Gjurasic with a score of 8-6. The overall score when the match was over was 7-2 with the Loggers on top.

On Sunday, the 11th, Perle-Jones and Burchamn won a tie-breaker to gain the #2 doubles win over Pacific Lutheran University with scores of 9-8 and 7-3. The other two doubles matches fell just short as the Bearcats lost 8-6 in #1 and 8-3 in #2. Perle-Jones gained another win for himself with a #2 singles success with scores of 6-3 and 6-4. Fisher also gained a win for himself in his singles match. The rest of the singles matches went to PLU and the score of the overall match was 6-3 with PLU pulling out the win over the Bearcats.

The women’s tennis team had three wins in the three doubles matches on Sunday. Smith and Pashek came back from a deficit for an exciting win with a score of 8-6 over PLU. Dean and Marr won #2 doubles with a score of 9-7 while Ginsberg and Gjurasic won #3 doubles with a score of 9-7. There were four victories by Pashek, Dean, Marr and Ginsberg in the #2, #3, #4 and #5 singles matches while both Smith and Andres fell short in #1 and #6. Overall, the women’s team came out on top with a solid win over PLU with a match score of 7-2.

The women’s team will play College of Idaho next Saturday, March 17th, at the Willamette courts while the men’s team travels to Palm Springs to play College of the Desert on Friday, March 16.

dsaunder@willamette.edu