Home2018-2019Men’s basketball eases past PSU

Men’s basketball eases past PSU

Jarin Kobashigawa,

Sports Editor

Junior Elizabeth Logsdon set a new career-high of 15 points to help the Bearcats overcome the Pacific University Boxers 64-37 on Tuesday Feb. 5 at Cone Fieldhouse in Sparks Gym. The Bearcats, with the help of sophomore Amanda Carpenter who scored seven of the first eight points, took an early lead over the Boxers. WU carried a 12-3 advantage into the second quarter where Logsdon and Carpenter helped to extend their lead to 16-4. Senior Britanny Kochenderfer and first-year Morgan Yamane sustained the lead heading into halftime, 28-19. In the third quarter, when efforts of junior Drew Farmer offset Pacific’s points and kept WU’s lead at 13 points, 36-23. Toward the end of the third quarter, WU went on a 12-0 run and grabbed their biggest lead yet, 48-27. The fourth quarter was dominated by WU, who led by as many as 29 points.

On Saturday, Feb. 9, the Bearcats came from behind to tie the game on a buzzer beater by Farmer, but lost in overtime to the third-ranked Puget Sound, 79-73. The first quarter was highly competitive as the teams tied each other throughout. By the end of the quarter WU claimed the lead with a three point margin, at 21-18, after Logsdon made a layup. To open the second quarter, WU extended their lead to eight points, 30-22. Kochenderfer added onto the lead with a three-pointer to help the Bearcats take their biggest lead yet, 38-28.

In the third quarter, Puget Sound closed the margin to four points, 56-52. The Bearcats lost the lead in the fourth quarter but kept the score close. With less than three seconds remaining, the Bearcats trailed the Loggers 69-67. Kochenderfer shot a three from the corner in attempt to win the game, but it bounced off the rim. Farmer charged in from the upper part of the key to grab the rebound and shoot it quickly as time expired to tie the game and send the match into overtime. The Bearcats could not get their offense going in overtime and was outscored by Puget Sound 10-4 leading to the final score of 79-73.

Puget Sound improved to 18-4 on the season and 11-3 in the Northwest Conference (NWC). Willamette fell to 10-13 overall and 5-9 in the NWC.

In the tough loss against Pacific University, senior Jordan Jenkins scored a career-high 31 points and in the same game, passed 1,000 career points. First-year Jonathan Watts and sophomore Justus Eaglesmith both added 24 points in the high-scoring game for WU. Pacific took their first noteworthy lead at 17-11 following a successful three-point shot. The Bearcats narrowed the margin to three points, 17-14, but the Boxers persisted and widened the gap again to 30-22 with less than 11 minutes left in the half. With less than a 20 second remaining in the half, Jenkins scored on a layup to help the Bearcats claim the lead, 64-63.

Throughout the second half, neither team fell behind more than three points. Senior Trent Callan, Jenkins and Eaglesmith made 20 points, 19 points and 18 points, respectively. With less than four minutes left in the game, Jenkins made a layup to take the lead, 103-102. Watts increased the lead to three points with a three-point shot, 107-104. Pacific answered back with back-to-back layups to reclaim the lead. Sophomore Ben Sutton made a layup to tie the game at 111-111, but it was Pacific player Jon Rigatti who made the final layup to seal the victory for the Boxers.

Jenkins set a new career high in the Bearcats’ victory over UPS with 32 points. Sutton also achieved a personal best with 22 points, three more than his previous record. The Loggers took the lead with the first made shot of the game, but after WU grabbed the lead at 5-4, the Loggers never came back. The first time game was tied was at 10-10 and the last time the game was tied was at 13-13. With the help of Sutton and Watts, WU took their biggest lead of the game, 26-17, with less than seven minutes left in the first half. Heading into halftime, the Loggers fought back to get within five points, 47-42.

WU’s offense accelerated in the second half and at the same time suppressed the Logger’s offense. With less than a minute remaining, the Bearcats had a 14-point lead. UPS tacked on three more points before time expired. UPS fell to 11-12 in their season and 7-7 in the NWC. WU improved to 8-15 and 5-9 in the NWC.

Women’s basketball, who ranked seventh in the NWC, will take on George Fox University at their court on Friday, Feb. 15 at 6 p.m. (PST). George Fox is ranked number one in the NWC and has only lost one NWC game in this season. The men’s team will follow and play at 8 p.m. (PST) against George Fox who is ranked sixth in the NWC, above WU, who is eighth.

jtkobashigawa@willamette.edu

Junior guard Kassin Hopkins amassed four assists to contribute to the Bearcats’ win over Pacific University (top). Senior guard Trent Callan and sophomore Alec Barba average 10.9 and 8.2 points per game, respectively (bottom).

Erica Steinberg