Home2018-2019Men’s golf takes third in NWC Spring Classic

Men’s golf takes third in NWC Spring Classic

Jack Kuyper,

The men’s and women’s golf teams competed in the Northwest Conference (NWC) Spring Classic in Olympia, WA this past weekend. On Saturday, April 13, the competition started at the Olympia Golf & Country Club. The NWC Spring Classic is one of three tournaments used to determine the overall NWC. The NWC Fall Classic and Spring Classic are only worth half of the points when combined together. The other half of the points will be decided at the NWC Tournament on April 27-28 at Wine Valley Golf Club in Walla Walla, WA.

The men’s golf team achieved third place overall by the end of Saturday, just five strokes out of the lead. First-year Austin Davis tied for sixth place and was first among the other WU golfers with a strong score of 75. Senior Sam Hinton and senior Trent Jones tied for eighth with scores of 76. Pacific University took the lead with a combined score of 300. Following them was Whitworth University at 304 and Willamette at 305.

On the women’s team, junior Lexie Towner tied for 16th place after shooting a 93. Irs Kawada of George Fox University took first in the women’s competition with a score of three-over-par, 75, with a four-stroke lead. Junior Kristen Barclay shot a 107 in the first round. Following her was sophomore Katerin Vasquez, who shot a 133. George Fox University led the standings with a score of 320. In second and third places were Whitman at 341 and Whitworth at 351. WU and Linfield could not enter complete teams and therefore didn’t compete in overall scores.

On the second day of the women’s NWC Spring Classic, Towner improved by five strokes (93-88), giving her an overall score of 181 and a final finish in 15th place. Barclay shot 96 on the second day, compared to the 107 score she recorded on Saturday. Vasquez was 21 strokes lower on Sunday. Her score on Saturday was 133, but she lowered it to 112, giving her an overall score of 245. The individual champion was Iris Kawada from GFU with a 12-over-par, 156. GFU’s top three golfers claimed first, second and third, keeping everyone else out of the top spots. In team scoring, GFU took first with 647. Whitman followed with 677 and Whitworth was third with 706 overall.

WU’s men’s team earned third place in the final team standings with a score of 604 after the second day of play. Whitworth took first place at 596, followed by Pacific Luthern University with 603, just one stroke better than the Bearcats. GFU finished in fourth place at 618. The top finishers for WU were Jones and Davis, who tied for fourth place with Austin Darnell of Pacific Luthern with scores of 150. Senior Kenneth Sheldon tied for 12th at 158 and Hinton tied for 14th at 154. First-year Andrew Kibbee also competed and tied for 23rd at 157. Mason Koch of GFU achieved first place for the individual tournament at a seven-over par, 147. Reilly Hegarty took second at 148.

WU will compete in the Willamette Spring Thaw on Friday and Saturday, April 19 and 20.

Caption: First-year Austin Davis was one of WU’s top finishers in the NWC Spring Classic, tying for fourth place with his teammate, senior Trent Jones.
PC: Chris Sabato

jlkuyper@willamette.edu