Home2018-2019Men’s golf wins the Boxer Invitational

Men’s golf wins the Boxer Invitational

Jarin Kobashigawa,
Sports Editor

The men’s and women’s golf teams competed in the Boxer Invitational, which was hosted by Pacific University in Banks, OR this past weekend. Junior Lexi Towner secured 10th place among 26 competing golfers after the first round on Saturday, Feb. 23.

First-year Andrew Kibbee shot a 144 to take first place in the two-day Pacific Spring Invitational.
Chris Sabato

University of Victoria’s five competing golfers claimed the top five positions after the first round, with the fifth-place golfer shooting 13 over par. Junior Kristen Barclay and sophomore Katerin Vasquez were in 23rd and 25th respectively. Willamette and Linfield College did not have enough players to enter a full team. Behind first place, was Corban University and in third was Lewis & Clark.

On the second day of play, the University of Victoria sustained their position and held onto the top five positions. They finished with a team score of 643, which was 67 over par. Corban finished in second place with a team score of 711, 135 over par. Towner was able to move up in the leaderboard and joined Tori Eichten of Lewis & Clark and Delainey Patterson of Corban in a three-way tie for sixth place. They all shot a 171, 27 over par. Barclay finished in 21st with a final score of 208 and Vasquez finished in 25th with a score of 242.

Men’s golf won the invitational after shooting two over par on the first day and finishing with a final team score of 582, 14 over par. All five of the WU golfers shot under 74 and remained in the top six through both days. First-year Andrew Kibbee placed in first through both days with a score of 69 on the first day and 75 on the second day to finish with two over par. Mac Turner of Puget Sound University tied with Kibbee after the first day but fell to second place on the second day.

Senior Kenneth Sheldon, with a score of 74, tied with senior Trent Jones for sixth after the first day. Sheldon was able to move up to second place on the second day after shooting a 72. Senior Sam Hinton shot a 73 on the first day and a 74 on the second day to take fourth for the Bearcats. First-year Austin Davis shot one under par on the first day and 78 on the second day to take fifth place. Jones finished in sixth for the Bearcats after shooting 74 on the first day and 75 on the second. Braden Ash of Pacific finished behind Jones,in seventh place with a score of 76 and 80.

Willamette will be hosting the Willamette Valley Cup at the Creekside Golf Club in Salem, OR on March 16 and 17. The tournament is set to start at 8 a.m. (PST).

jtkobashigawa@willamette.edu