Home2018-2019Men’s golf wins Willamette Valley Cup

Men’s golf wins Willamette Valley Cup

Jack Kuyper,

Willamette’s men’s and women’s golf teams competed for the Willamette Valley Cup in Salem, OR on March 16 and 17.

Senior Sam Hinton started the tournament off well when he shot a two-under-par (70) to share first place with Mason Koch from George Fox University (GFO). First-year Austin Davis was in third place after the first day of the tournament with a score of 72, which was even-par. Following Davis was senior Kenneth Sheldon, who was tied for fourth at 73 with first-year Andrew Kibbee. Right behind them was senior Trent Jones who was part of a five-way tie for sixth place with a score of 75.

At the end of the first round, the five Bearcats held first place with a combined score of 288, which was even-par. The Bearcats held a 12-stroke-lead over GFU, who was in second place at 300. Linfield College achieved third place at 307 and was followed by Lewis & Clark, who had 314 points. Pacific University (PU) followed in fifth with 321, followed by Johnson & Wales at 323.

In the first day of the women’s Willamette Valley Cup, junior Lexi Towner tied for fifth place at 87. Two golfers from Corban University, Delainey Patterson and Casey Jansen, were tied for the individual lead at 3-over-par (75). Corban led the team standings on the first day with 32, 5 and was followed by Lewis & Clark, who had 342. PU was third with 382, followed by Johnson & Wales, who had 696. Both WU and Linfield did not enter complete teams, as neither had enough golfers.

During the second and final day of the Willamette Valley Cup, Hinton shot a four-under-par for a remarkable score of 68, giving him a total of 138, which earned him first place in the individual championship. Davis’ final score was 142, consisting of 72 and 70, which gave him second place at two-under-par. Koch of GFU, who was initially tied for first place, got third place with 143. Jones achieved fifth place at 148. The Bearcats also won the team title with a score of 573, a grand total that was three strokes under par. GFU got second place after shooting a 601 (300-301). Linfield placed third with 618 (307-311). Lewis & Clark followed in fourth with 637 (314-323) and Pacific University placed fifth with 645 (321-324). Johnson & Whales placed sixth at 652 (323-329).

Towner earned fifth place in the women’s individual competition. Towner shot 87 in the first round and 88 in the second, leading to her overall score of 175. Jansen from Corban topped the individuals with a score of 148. Annie McCutchan of Lewis & Clark College and Patterson from Corban tied for second place at 161. Karmin Ford of Lewis & Clark took fourth at 167. Corban won with 664 (325-339), followed by Lewis & Clark in second place at 683 (342-341). Pacific University took third place at 795 (382-413).

The Bearcats men’s team will return on Monday and Tuesday, March 25-26 at the prestigious West Cup in La Verne, CA. The 54-hole event will take place at Sierra La Verne Country Club. Women’s golf will be competing at the Bulldog Classic, hosted by Univerversity of Redlands. This event will be held at The S Club in Rancho Mirage, CA.

jlkuyper@willamette.edu

Tags