Men’s Soccer beats archrival Linfield 1-0

Oct 13th, 2017 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Sports

By Jarin Kobashigawa

On Sunday afternoon, the lady Bearcats took on George Fox University, but unfortunately fell short of a victory. The Bruins took an early 1-0 lead in the 18th minute when a goal was scored off of a deflection following a corner kick. The Bruins generated a second goal during the 48th minute off of a penalty kick. A George Fox player collided with Barclay as they were both charging for the ball. The attacker’s shot went wide of the goal, but Barclay was charged with a foul, supplying the Bruins with an opportunity, that resulted in the second goal. Barclay was credited with four saves on the day.

During the final minutes of the game, senior Kelsey Walker was able to put the ball into the net off of a penalty kick. This goal signified Walker’s 10th goal of her career and 2nd of the season. Willamette and George Fox were virtually identical with their shots during the first half, 5-4 (Bruins with 5). But in the second half Willamette held a 14-8 lead with total shots. The Bruins improved to 5-4-2 overall, 3-3-2 in the Northwest Conference. Willamette fell to 7-3-2, including 4-3-1 in the NWC. The women’s team will host Whitworth University at home on Saturday, Oct. 14, the game will begin at 12 p.m. (PDT).

The men’s soccer team recorded a significant win on Saturday, Oct. 7, against the Bearcat’s archrival the Linfield Wildcats. sophomore Sodai Takayanagi, came in clutch with his first goal of the season. At the 14th minute of game, Takayanagi scored on a 40-yard cross from the far-right side of the field that took a low bounce into the left side of the net.

“I am very happy to be able to contribute to our teams win and I hope to contribute more in the upcoming games,” Takayanagi said.

In the second half, Junior Marco Gonzalez, first-year Omar Dominguez Pascasio and senior Liam Main had shots that were on target but saved by Linfield’s keeper. The Wildcats nearly tied the game during the 81st minute, when a free kick by Linfield hit the top crossbar. Willamette maintained the shutout and now has played their 8th consecutive game without losing.

“Teamwork, being able to produce practice results in the game and listening to coach’s advice” might explain their success said Takayanagi. The Bearcats improve to 7-3-1 overall and 6-0-1 in the NWC. Linfield fell to 2-9-0 on the season and 0-7-0 in the NWC. The Bearcats are in first place in the NWC standings with 19 points holding a six-point lead over second place Pacific Lutheran. The next game for the men’s soccer team will be on Saturday, Oct. 14, at home, against Whitman, starting at 2:30 p.m.

jtkobashigawa@willamette.edu