Home2017-2018Men’s soccer remain atop in NWC, Women defeat Linfield

Men’s soccer remain atop in NWC, Women defeat Linfield

By Jarin Kobashigawa

Over the weekend the men’s soccer team were victorious against George Fox University on Saturday, winning 2-0. This win is the Bearcat’s sixth shutout of the season. First year Max Berner-Hays scored a goal in the first and second half to lead the way for Willamette. Berner-Hays scored his first goal at the 33rd minute, following a pass from sophomore Mason Kellier; the shot was taken from the left side of the field. Berner-Hay’s second goal came at the 72nd minute, which helped to seal the win. Junior Joe Plaster sent a free kick in the vicinity of the goal which led to Berner-Hay’s header, this was his fourth goal of the season. Goalkeepers, junior Marco Gonzalez-Yanez, who had one save, and senior Quinn Nottage, who played for the final nine minutes of the game, shared the shutout. The Bearcats also outshot George Fox, 12-7 which included 5-1 shots on target.  

On Sunday, the Bearcats came out victorious, 1-0 on their Senior Day against Pacific University. Berner-Hays scored the only goal of the game with 31 seconds remaining in the first overtime period. In the final seconds of the overtime, the Boxer’s goalkeeper registered a foul a few yards outside of the penalty area and ended up receiving a red card. Senior Alan Hernandez took the free kick which was saved by the back-up goalkeeper, but Berner-Hays who was ten yards away shot the ball between the legs of the keeper. Nottage, from Portland, Oregon earned the shutout, while making four saves for the Bearcats. Nottage played in nine games in his career at Willamette. Hernandez, from Tigard, Oregon led the team in shot attempts and was a serious threat on offense. Hernandez has played in 69 games throughout his career. Liam Main, the senior from San Francisco, California has played in 46 games in his Bearcat career. Willamette improved to 9-4-2 on the season, remaining in 1st place in the NWC at 8-1-2. Pacific fell to 8-6-1, and 5-5-1 in the NWC. On Saturday, October 28th Willamette will play the 2nd placed team, Pacific Lutheran at 2:30 p.m. (PDT) in Tacoma, Washington.

On Saturday, sophomore Shanna Keil and senior Emmy Manset score one goal each to lead the Bearcats to a 2-0 win over archrival, Linfield. The Bearcats applied pressure early; during the second minute, Yume Matsuyama took a shot that was wide left. Keil’s goal, which was the second shot of the game, came at the tenth minute when the ball was placed in the upper right corner of the goal from 20 yards out. The Bearcats outshot the Wildcats 6-2, which consisted of 3-1 shots on goal.

In the second half, Linfield outshot Willamette 6-2, but were unsuccessful in their attempts to score. Sophomore goalkeeper, Kristen Barclay accumulated six saves on the day, five came from the second half. With six minutes left in the game Manset scored after a long run and a shot 20 yards out. The ball deflected off of the left post into the net, obtaining her eighth goal of the season, surpassing her 2016 season goal record of seven.

On Sunday, the Bearcats traveled to Tacoma, Washington to take on Pacific Lutheran University but unfortunately fell short, and lost 0-2. The Lutes took an early lead by scoring their first goal at the 16th minute. During the first half, the Lutes outshot the Bearcats 1-6. Yume Matsuyama recorded Willamette’s only scoring attempt during the 30th minute when her shot forced a save by Pacific Lutheran’s goalie. The game ended with the Lutes holding the advantage 10-4, which included 5-3 shots on goal. Manset recorded three shot attempts, one that was wide right and two that were saved by the goalkeeper. The second and final goal of the game came during the 75th minute. Barclay played a complete game and had three saves on the day. Willamette’s record changed to 10-4-2 on the season, and 7-4-1 in the Northwest Conference. The Bearcats are now ranked fourth in the NWC with 22 points, trailing Puget Sound University who has 26 points. The Bearcat’s next game will be on Wednesday, October 25th against Lewis & Clark College which will begin at 7 p.m. (PDT).

jtkobashigawa@willamette.edu