Home2018-2019Men’s tennis dominates OSU

Men’s tennis dominates OSU

Cody Miller,

The men’s tennis team swept the Oregon State University Club team in an exhibition game last Saturday, Feb. 10, winning 9-0. In a dominant day, the Bearcats only lost six times in doubles games and won 12 sets in singles. These matches were played at Willamette’s home courts. This was the first tennis match that the men’s team played against another school since Oct. 7, 2018, when they challenged Linfield College. In that last game, the team lost 8-1 but showcased some of the talent that is to come in the next few months.

The day started with WU’s doubles team consisting of first-year Andrew Kabacy and senior Aaron Schechter taking on OSU’s B. Wendert and I. Goshay. They won 8-4. The next doubles match took place between juniors Colin Fisher and junior Gene Perle-Jones, beating M. Magnello and S. Ho, 8-1. To finish the sweep in doubles competition, sophomore Luke Hiserman and first-year Charles Pezeshki defeated B. Moore and L. Parvin, 8-1.

In singles competition, the Bearcats did not lose a single match. Kabacy defeated N. Weaver in two sets, 6-2 and 6-2. Schechter only lost one set, defeating B. Lee quickly, 6-0 and 6-1. Fisher shut out his opponent, B. Kirim, 6-0 and 6-0. Perle-Jones defeated N. Warahekar and holding his opponent to only two points, 6-2 and 6-0. Hiserman overcame K. Pham, 6-1 and 6-2. Finally, senior Endy Zarate defeated M. Magnello, 6-4 and 6-1.

The men’s tennis team will play it’s next match against Bellevue Community College on Friday, Feb. 22 at the WU tennis courts at 5 p.m. (PST). On Sunday, Feb. 24, the Bearcats will take on their first Northwest Conference (NWC) matchup against Lewis & Clark in Portland, OR.

ctmiller@willamette.edu