Home2019-2020Issue 4Men’s tennis struggles in regional tournament

Men’s tennis struggles in regional tournament

Jack Kuyper

Sports Editor

Willamette University’s men’s tennis team did not do well this past weekend at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s (ITA) Northwest regional tournament. The tournament took place every day between Friday, Sept. 20 and Monday, Sept. 23 and was hosted by George Fox University (GFU) in Newberg, OR.

All of the singles tennis players faltered in their first matchup in the ITA tournament. First-year Quentin Nigbur fell to Rox Rodgers from GFU without a single point. Rodgers ended up going on to the quarter-finals but fell to Ben Krish from Whitman. Sophomore Andrew Kabacy fought hard but lost 6-4 in both sets in the first round to Ryan Murata of Pacific University. Senior Gene Perle-Jones lost against Garrett Katayama from Pacific University by 6-3 in the first set and 6-2 in the second. Senior Collin Fisher was also taken down by Joey Balloweg of Pacific University, 6-4 and 6-2. 

Kabacy and Nigbur competed in the doubles main draw tournament together but also fell short of a win in their first matchup, losing to Brendan Adams and Will McDermott from Lewis and Clark College. First-year Thomas Anderson and junior Luke Hiserman fell in their first round of the qualifying doubles. However, first-year Andrew Kroop and first-year Jordan Megiveron won 8-3 against Alden Velasco and Paul Wallace from Puget Sound, marking WU’s only win of the tournament. Unfortunately, they quickly fell to Aiden Schutter and Tom Chang from Whitman 8-0. 

The team’s next game will come on Saturday, Sept. 28 at Lewis and Clark College.

jlkuyper@willamette.edu