Home2018-2019Men’s tennis traveled to CA this past weekend

Men’s tennis traveled to CA this past weekend

Jack Kuyper,

This past weekend, the men’s tennis team traveled to California to play two matches. The first was against Biola University (BU) on Friday, March 8 in Los Angles and the second match was in Palm Desert on Sunday, March 10 against Cal Luthern University (CLU). The Bearcats got swept in both matches, 7-0 and 9-0.

Biola University won all three doubles matches and then proceeded to beat WU in the singles competition. Biola, who competes in the NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Activities) Division, upped its record to 4-3. WU, on the other hand, who competes in NCAA (National College Athletic Association) Division III, fell to 0-5.

In doubles, Biola’s Logan Blair and Edwin Ramos defeated WU’s first-year Andrew Kabacy and senior Aaron Schechter, 6-2. In the second doubles game, Biola’s Erik Martinez and Derek James took down junior Colin Fisher and junior Gene Perle-Jones, 6-1. The third doubles match was won by Andres Menses and Ian Neih of Biola, 6-2, against first-year Charles Pezeshki and sophomore Luke Hiserman.

Colin Fisher playing tennis

Junior Colin Fisher, who was named an ITA (Intercollegiate Tennis Association) scholar athlete, took the courts in California with his team this past weekend
By Chris Sabato

The Eagles didn’t lose any sets in the singles matches. Blair faced off against Kabacy first and won 6-3 in the first set and 7-5 in the second. Kabacy had a one-point lead of 4-5, but Blair rallied back to win 7-5. Neih defeated Schechter 6-3 and 6-2. James took down Fisher in two 6-1 sets. Perle-Jones fell to Andres Meneses 6-2 and 6-1. Quentin Lau of BU swept Hiserman 6-0 in both sets. Martinez closed the match out with a 6-0 and 6-2 win over Pezeshki.

Two days later, on March 10, WU was swept once again, against Cal Luthern University this time. In the doubles competition, Kabacy and Schechter put up a good fight against Yahn Gawrit and Isaiah Volk but couldn’t clutch the win. The score was 8-3. Ransom Braaten and Jake Haffner overcame Perle-Jones and Fisher in a quick 8-1 set. Kylel Gillam and Aaron Moylan defeated Hiserman and Pezeshki 8-2.

In the singles competition, Haffner made quick work of Schechter in the first set, winning 6-1 but Schechter came back in the second set to win 7-6. Haffner prevailed and won the final set 10-2. Volk won against Perle-Jones 6-1 and 6-0 while Moylan defeated Fisher 6-0 and 6-1. Gillam overcame Hiserman 6-0 and 6-1. Hitachi Hu of CLU swept senior Endy Zarate in the final match, 6-0 and 6-0.

WU dropped to 0-6 in NCAA Division III while CLU rose to 2-3. WU will be playing Puget Sound University in Tacoma, WA on Saturday, March 16 at 1 p.m. (PST).

Jlkuyper@willamette.edu