Runners set six personal records

Mar 19th, 2014 | By | Category: Sports

By Evan Giddings

Last weekend at the Lewis & Clark Tri Meet, rainy conditions restricted the Willamette University track and field team. But at the Lane Preview meet at Lane Community College in Eugene, Ore. last weekend, the sun seemed to give the Willamette runners a much needed boost; six Bearcats set personal records.

Sophomore sprinter Kylea Johnson, who took first place in the women’s 100-meter dash in 12.66 seconds, a personal best, felt that the weather conditions played a role in shaving 15 seconds from her previous best.
“Lately it has been a bit cold to garner too many personal records, but our team did an excellent job of preparing this week. With the weather conditions in our favor, it helped propel my teammates to that personal record time,” Johnson said.

Other victors for the women included junior distance runner Michaela Freeby, who led a 1-3-5 finish for the Bearcats in the 800-meter dash with a personal record of 2:17.69. Fellow distance runners junior Annette Marinello and sophomore Hannah Bressler also placed third and fifth at the meet.

In the jumps, junior multi Bekah Daniel snagged first place in the long jump with a distance of 17 feet, 8 inches. This new personal record moved her from a tie for 10th place up to sixth on Willamette’s all-time list.

“I was determined to relax and remember why I’m out at the track every day – to work hard and have fun,” Daniel said. “I think my team and I accomplished this, and the momentum we were creating was contagious for everyone.”
Her teammate, junior jumper Elisa Ahern, followed closely with a jumping distance of 17 feet, 4 inches to take second place.

The other winner for the women’s team was sophomore thrower Jameka Townsend, who captured first place in the javelin as her winning throw covered 126 feet, 6 inches.

Her fellow thrower junior Jordan Loos was the only winner for the men’s team; he set a new personal record in the hammer throw with a length of 159 feet, 1 inches. In the event, Loos led a 1-2-3 finish by the Bearcats as senior Max Faulhaber and junior Tyler Higley both finished closely with throws of 157 feet, 2 inches and 155 feet, 5 inches respectively.

In the sprint heats, both sophomore Dylan Jones and senior Chris Luetjen excelled in the 100-meter dash. Jones achieved third place in 11.11 seconds, followed immediately by Luetjen, who took fourth place in 11.12 seconds.
This upcoming week will be a short one for the Bearcats, as Willamette hosts Corban University in a dual meet on Wednesday, March 19 and Thursday, March 20.

Although they have fewer days to prepare for the meet than usual, Freeby is confident that her team will be ready to roll.

“I think that this meet is just another opportunity for us to continue to improve our qualifying mark for conference. Our training is built around competing so the change shouldn’t be a problem,” Freeby said. “It would be great to see a lot of Willamette fans out at the meet.”

egidding@willamette.edu