Softball endures two days of rain delays against UPS

Apr 11th, 2018 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Sports

By Jarin Kobashigawa

The softball team traveled to Tacoma, Washington on Saturday to take on the University of Puget Sound, where they would play two games on Saturday and two more games on Sunday. However, mother nature had other plans as a majority of the Pacific Northwest experienced intense rain showers, and the games on both days were canceled with the team stuck in .

After the wet weather passed, Monday arrived and the Bearcats finally played two games against Puget Sound. Unfortunately they were unable to snag a win and lost the fist game 7-4, and lost the second game 4-2. Senior Jessica Gott pitched two complete games for the Loggers and only allowed nine hits in 14 innings.

In the first game the Loggers capitalized on three errors by the Bearcats to score six unearned runs and take the lead in the series. To begin the game, the Loggers scored once in both the first and second innings. Willamette answered back with two runs in the third inning. The first run was scored when sophomore Jocelyn Glasgo doubled and drove in junior Emily Bishop, who singled to right field and first year Breianna McLeod, who walked. Glasgo had the only extra base hit in the game for both teams.

Later in the fourth, sophomores Kea Gier and Olivia Scott singled to start the inning, but both runners were stranded on base. The Loggers surged forward in the bottom of the fourth by scoring two runs, and then later in the fifth they scored an additional three runs. At the top of the seventh, the Bearcats fought back, but could not score enough to take the game into the bottom seventh. Glasgo drove in one run on a fielder’s choice and McLeod scored on a double steal.

In the seconds game the Bearcats scored two runs in the first and were shut out after that. The game began with a double to center field by Bishop. After first year Bailey Hillmick popped up, Glasgo pounded a homerun over the right field fence. Sophomore Sofia Magnani singled in the first inning but was left stranded on base. In the bottom of the first, the Loggers managed to score once but left the bases loaded to end the inning. The game remained 2-1 until the fourth when Puget Sound scored three runs on three hits to take the lead. The Bearcats could not get anymore hits off in time to comeback and lost 4-2. The Loggers improved to 9-22-1 on the season, and 7-15 in the Northwest Conference. Willamette fell to 5-22 overall, and 5-15 in the NWC.

The softball team will play a double-header against George Fox University on Saturday April 14th. The game is scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. (PDT) and is taking place at George Fox University. The second double-header, which will take place on Sunday, against George Fox will be played at Willamette, and will begin at 12 p.m. (PDT)

jtkobashigawa@willamette.edu