Home2018-2019Softball faces a rough start to its season

Softball faces a rough start to its season

Jarin Kobashigawa,
Sports Editor

The softball team suffered a tough start to its 2019 season in Caldwell, ID in the College of Idaho Tournament. The team went 0-5 against the College of Idaho, Northwest Nazarene University (NU) and Menlo College.

In the Bearcat’s first game of the doubleheader on Friday, Feb. 22, the College of Idaho shut out WU 6-0 and only allowed three hits while recording seven of their own. The Lady Yotes’ Colette Roberts pitched a complete game and amassed a stunning 10 strikeouts to record her third win of the season. Junior Vanessa Almaraz, junior Jocelyn Glasgo and first-year Kilani Fierstos recorded the Bearcats’ only three hits.

The game began with Idaho taking a two-run lead following an early two-run home run. WU was able to hold off their offense until the fifth inning when the Lady Yotes scored the rest of their runs on four hits. In the sixth inning, the Bearcats were able to advance first-year Payten Healy to third base on a single down third base line courtesy of Glasgo, but Roberts ended the inning with a strikeout.

The Bearcats battled in the second game and were tied after the top of the sixth inning, but allowed two runs in the bottom of the inning and lost 8-6. The Lady Yotes took an early three run lead in the first inning and were able to tack on two more runs in the second. WU recorded one run in the second inning with first-year Meghan Hook scoring on a run batted in (RBI) single by first-year Kelsey Wong.

Junior Jocelyn Glasgo was two for two in the games against Northwest Nazarene University and Menlo College this past weekend
-Chris Sabato

Chris Sabato

WU scored another three runs in the fifth inning on an RBI single by junior Sofia Magnani. A couple of wild pitches brought in sophomore Breianna Mcleod and senior Emily Bishop. In the top of the sixth, the Bearcats scored two runs to tie the game. Hook brought Fierstos home with a single, and Wong scored on a throwing error at the end of that same play. A two-run home run allowed College of Idaho to take the lead. The Bearcats were unable to come back in the seventh.

Northwest Nazarene amassed 20 hits over 10 innings to run rule the Bearcats on Saturday, Feb. 23. In the first game, Mcleod smacked a solo homer over right field fence to take a 1-0 lead in the first inning. The Nighthawks answered back with a two-run homer in the bottom of the first. The Bearcats’ offense was suppressed until first-year Jewel Fleckenstein singled to right field in the fourth inning. Fleckenstein advanced to third on a single by junior Maya Shipway but was left stranded on base. The Nighthawks scored four runs in the bottom of the inning and secured the win 9-1 by the fifth inning.

WU got run-ruled 10-2 in the second game. NNU took the lead, 1-0, after the first inning, but sophomore Bailey Hillmick hit a solo home run to tie the game in the top of the second inning. The Nighthawks answered back with four runs in the bottom half of the inning and continued to add on to their score throughout the game. WU scored one additional run in the third inning on a double by Glasgo, bringing in Healy.

In the final game of the tournament against Menlo College, the Bearcats battled in a game but allowed seven runs in the last inning and could not overcome the deficit. A total of 10 unearned runs were scored on six WU errors, leading to the 17-6 loss. The Oaks scored seven runs in the first inning, to which WU answered with four runs of their own on four hits courtesy of Mcleod, Almaraz, first-year Cassie Cossler and Wong. The Oaks tacked on two more runs in the third and one more in the sixth. Hook scored in the bottom of the seventh after walking to start the inning, but the Bearcats could not come back.

WU will play Pacific University in a Northwest Conference (NWC) match up next weekend in a four-game series. They will be playing in Forest Grove, OR and will start at 12 p.m. (PST) on Saturday, March 2.

jtkobashigawa@willamette.edu