Home2018-2019T&F continues to break records

T&F continues to break records

Britt Mitchell,

Several members of the track & field team broke personal records in the Pacific Multi-Event hosted by Pacific University on March 25-26 and the Mike Fanelli Track Classic hosted by San Francisco State University on March 29. Willamette did not send the entire track & field team to both meets, but the althletes who did attend made sure to represent their team well.

Junior Brian Peck set an impressive high point record for himself at the Pacific Multi-Event with 5,884 combined points in the decathlon. The decathlon is a 100-meter run, long jump, shot put, high jump, 400m run, 110m hurdles, discus, pole vault, javelin and 1500m run. After the first day of competition, Peck was in seventh place overall in the decathlon. Peck placed in the top 10 for seven out of the 10 events. Peck’s final score put him sixth place overall. Michael Schmidt of Corban University finished in first place with 6,666 combined points. Giovanni Brown of Concordia University came in second with 6,505 points.

Another notable finish during the Pacific Multi-Event was first-year Adrian Schnee’s performance in the heptathlon. A heptathlon is a seven-part event including a 100m hurdles, high jump, shot put, 200m dash, long jump, javelin and 800m run. Schnee finished in 11th place and scored 3,823 points. Paige Dodd claimed first place for Eastern Oregon University with 4,503 points. She was followed by Valerie Schmidt of Corban, who amassed 4,383 points.

In San Francisco, personal records were also broken at the Mike Fanelli Track Classic. Senior Keith Carlson and junior Michael Montague both set personal records on March 29 in the 5,000m run. Carlson finished with a time of 14:33.05 and Montague finished with a time of 14:56.14. Both athletes’ previous best times came from a race earlier this season. Both also shaved about 10 seconds off their previous records.

Carlson finished in the top 50 out of 226 runners in the 5,000m and attained 6th for the fastest time in Willamette’s history in the 5000m run. This also puts Carlson in fourth place for the Division III national times this season. Montague’s time puts him in the 20th spot on the DIII national times this season. The meet was mostly comprised of Division I and Division II athletes, making it a very competitive meet. Only 93 runners finished with times under 15:00, including both Willamette runners.

The next opportunity to see Willamette’s track & field team will be Friday, April 5 at Western Oregon University at the John Knight Twilight meet in Monmouth, OR.

bemitchell@willamette.edu