Home2018-2019T&F dominates over the weekend

T&F dominates over the weekend

Britt Mitchell,

Two personal records were broken for the track & field team this last weekend. Senior Emily Evans and sophomore Keaton Beckmann both took first place in their respective events and broke their personal records. Evans’ first place was in the women’s 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 11:36.34, almost four seconds faster than her previous best. The second place finisher was another Willamette runner, sophomore Isabel Duxbury, with a time of 11:56.00. Willamette had the only two women to break the 12-minute mark in this race. Beckmann won the men’s javelin with a personal record of 177’ 2”, adding an entire five inches to his previous best throw and nine inches farther than anyone else at the meet.

In addition to these two first-place finishes, Willamette had four other athletes who won their events but did not achieve personal records. Senior Hazel Carr finished in first place in the 1,500m race with a time of 4:52.30. Junior Hope Duenas won the discus event with a distance of 133’ 2”. Junior Michael Montague blew two other competitors out of the water in the 3,000m steeplechase with his second all-time fastest time, 9:33.80, finishing over a minute before the second place finisher. Graduate student RoShaan Rogers won the 400m hurdles with a time of 56.71.

On the women’s side, there were two top five finishes from Carr and Duenas. Carr attained fourth in the 800m race with a time of 2:22.93, mere tenths of seconds from her personal best time. Duenas threw the second place hammer throw with a distance of 142’ 8”, a season best for her.

After a successful weekend; the Bearcats were back at it on Monday, April 15 on the first day of the 2019 Northwest Conference (NWC) Multi-Event Championships. This meet only included decathlon and heptathlon athletes. Closing off Monday night, first-year Adrian Schnee was in fifth place for the heptathlon and junior Brian Peck was in seventh for the decathlon.

There will be five additional decathlon events and three additional heptathlon events on Tuesday, April 16. Schnee has already earned a personal best time in the 100m hurdles with a time of 16.19, putting her in fourth for that event. She also finished with a personal best in the 200m dash with a time of 27.42, the third fastest of the event. Her top finish of the day was in high jump where she finished in first place with a distance of 4’ 11.75’’. Her overall score at the end of Monday’s event was 2,330, putting her in a position to be able to move up in the overall standings of the meet.

Peck closed out Monday with a total of 2,996 points. 707 of his points came from his 100m dash, which he finished in 11.72 seconds. Peck didn’t earn fewer than 600 points in any of the decathlon events.

The Bearcats will be back in action next weekend, Friday and Saturday, April 26 and 27 at the NWC Championships in Tacoma, WA.

bemitchell@willamette.edu