The only thing you need to study for finals: A good playlist (leave your books)

Apr 27th, 2017 | By | Category: 2016-2017, Lifestyles

By Holly Walsh

Willamette students believe they need books and notes in order to successfully study for finals. However, studies show that all you really need to study for finals is a playlist full of uplifting songs. Sit back, put those uncomfortable headphones in, and get ready for that familiar dull ache in your ear because you’ll be listening to this playlist on repeat.

1. Elevate – St. Lucia

End of the semester got you down? Only taking four classes but somehow have six final exams, three 10-page papers and two presentations? Don’t sweat it Willamette! Kick off the first all-nighter of finals season with this upbeat song complete with lyrics you can totally relate to like “No one elevates you[r grades]/elevates you[r grades] now.”

1. Handclap – Fitz and The Tantrums

Continuing down the road of upbeat songs, this next one will make you “Get on your knees and [beg your prof for a B-].” Warning: if you clap along while studying on the second floor of the library, you might get dirty looks.

1. I Wanna Get Better – Bleachers

Make sure you hit up the library. Starting Sunday, May 3, the library will be open until 3 a.m. instead of the usual 2 a.m. Extended hours end May 9. The library will help you when you just “Wanna Get Better [Grades].”

1. Fire Escape – Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness

With lyrics like “Still up at dawn” and “We belong awake,” Fire Escape is the perfect song to get you through these long nights starting on the first day of Study Days, Tuesday, May 2. Take the “Fire Escape” right out of your classroom. They probably won’t notice.

1. Little Secrets – Passion Pit

The happiest song on this planet, complete with little kids singing joyously. Little do they know the struggles they might face during college finals. “Little Secrets” will have you singing along, hopefully making your GPA go “Higher and higher and higher/higher and higher and higher.”

1. Painkiller – Dreamers

No need for Advil! Kill that all-nighter headache with “Painkiller,” just be sure not to turn up that volume too loud; if you needed that Advil for any other reason, you’re going to want to keep this volume down.

1. Holding On To You – Twenty One Pilots

Hipsters get good grades right? Right! Grab your glasses and turn up this jam! Hold On To You[r Grades]!

1. High – Sir sky (and the rest of the 13 Reasons Why Soundtrack)

Welcome to your tape, Professor.

1. Nuvole blanche – Ludovico

If you want to feel smart and classy, listen to this while crying on the second floor of the library. It has no words so you feel super intelligent and well-educated musically because you go to Willamette and so you “get” what the instruments alone are trying to say.

1. Humble – Kendrick Lamar

“Be Humble. Sit Down” and take your test to this jam that will have people thinking you’re a badass straight-A student.

1. 10 Hours of Pirates of the Caribbean Music

Enough said.

1. The Weekend – Brantley Gilbert

It’s the weekend! Thank God. Turn up this country jam and celebrate a job well done.

hwalsh@willamette.edu