The Red Onion: Student spends birthday wondering if it is socially acceptable to tell his friends that it is his birthday

Apr 27th, 2017 | By | Category: 2016-2017, The Red Onion

By Mason Kelliher

Last Thursday, a first-year student spent the whole day wondering if it was OK to tell people that it was his birthday.

After waking up with high expectations for a day filled with “happy birthdays,” and questions like, “what’d you get?” the student reportedly had his soul stomped and spat on by the fact that nobody, not even his parents, wished him happy birthday.

This caused him to spend the whole day wondering if he would be a loser or not if he told his friends that it was his birthday.

After hearing his heartbreaking story we decided to sit down with the student, who wants to remain anonymous, for an interview.

“It’s really not that big of a deal,” the student, who was visibly shaken by the incident, said. “Yes, nobody said happy birthday to me all day, but my friends probably just forgot. They don’t really use Facebook so I’m not offended or anything. I actually think it’s pretty funny,” he said unconvincingly.

The student told us how he tried to drop hints to his friends all day, but had no luck. In one such incident he stood by the Mill Stream for over two hours so when his friends walked past he could say, “Oh no, here we go, please don’t push me into the Mill Stream.”

“The annoying thing is that I remember telling people on Monday that my birthday was going to be on Thursday. I didn’t want to be ‘that guy’ who tells people that it’s his birthday to get extra attention, but I also wanted extra attention so I didn’t know what to do,” the student said.

“And no, Mom, the day after my birthday is not my birthday,” he added.

mpkelliher@willamette.edu