This week in sports

Apr 20th, 2017 | By | Category: 2016-2017, Sports

By Aaron Oda

“HUH?”

This weekend I saw an article about how the NFL is reviewing its celebration rules and are looking to “relax” it a bit. The NFL is trying to make the game more exciting by letting players show their emotions more on the field as well as clarifying the rules so players know what can and cannot be done. With the school year wrapping up as well, it is a time of both celebration and stress. So,

“enthusiasm is contagious…and so is the lack of it.”

– Joe Moore

MLB

A team that has been making people turn heads is the New York Yankees. We are only 13 games into the season, but the extremely young Bronx Bombers find themselves tied for first place in the American League East and on an eight game winning streak. Aaron Judge, who is only 24-years-old, has played lights out so far. The Yankees have star players like Ronald Torreyes who is only 24-years-old and stands 5-feet-8 inches and weighs 151 pounds. This team was predicted to only be about a .500 team this season but it looks to be a fun summer if you you are a Yankees fan.

NHL

The NHL playoffs are also going on right now in the chase for the most iconic sports trophy: the Lord Stanley Cup. One of the series to note is the Nashville Predators and the Chicago Blackhawks. The Chicago Blackhawks have been one of the best NHL teams lately, winning three Stanley Cups in the last six years, but right now they find themselves down 3-0 in a best of seven series to the Nashville Predators. The Blackhawks lost in overtime 3-2, giving up all three goals unanswered. The Predators have been getting great play from their wing players and an outstanding performance from their goaltenderPekka Rinne.

NBA

The NBA playoffs began this weekend for all 16 teams that have the same common goal in mind, an NBA championship. Our Portland Trail Blazers find themselves down 1-0 in a best of seven game series with the next game being played on Wednesday. The loss came at the hands of the No. 1 Golden State Warriors by a score of 121-109, who pulled away in the fourth quarter by outscoring the Blazers by 12. The alternate splash brothers, Damian Lillard and Cj McCullom, combined for 75 points. Lillard scored 34 points while McCollum dropped 41 points in a game that showed the lack of both firepower and depth on this season’s team. Another series that should be noted, is in the Eastern Conference between the No. 1 Boston Celtics and No. 8 Chicago Bulls. In Game 1 of this series the Chicago Bulls won 106-102 and stole home court advantage from the Celtics. The Bulls had a superstar game from Jimmy Butler who had 30 points and nine rebounds.

Until next week, K DEN!

aoda@willamette.edu