This week in sports

Apr 27th, 2017 | By | Category: 2016-2017, Sports

By Aaron Oda

“HUH?”

In the final installment of “HUH?” for the semester, we discuss wisdom. In playoff basketball, a series could be as long as seven games against a single team and more times than not, the winner isn’t who has the best team but which team played the smartest. This could be anything from strategy adjustments, player match up changes and mentality changes.

“It’s better to be right half of the time than to be half right all of the time.”

-Joe Moore

NHL

With most of their first round games finished or finishing in the next couple days, we will now examine the next round match ups.

One game to note is between the Washington Capitals and the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Penguins are the defending Stanley Cup winners and had a great series against the Columbus Blue Jackets. With stars throughout their lineup, they are built to win just as much as the Capitals. The Capitals are also a team that is built to win and are looking to overtake the Penguins as the team to beat in the Eastern Conference.

NBA

There has been a lot of interesting series going on this week in the NBA. First off, Lebron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers swept the Indiana Pacers. The series was dominated by James and his teammates who were firing on all cylinders and took care of business. The Cavaliers now await the winner of the Toronto Raptors and Milwaukee Bucks, where it is currently two games apiece.

One series that has been fun to watch so far has been the one between San Antonio Spurs and the Memphis Grizzlies, who are also tied two games apiece. The last game between the two teams ended in a game-winning shot in overtime by Marc Gasol. The Spurs had a chance to win it in regulation, but Kawhi Leonard missed a tightly contested shot. But it was Leonard who led the Spurs back from a double point deficit in the fourth quarter to give the Spurs a chance to win.

MLB

One notable incident that happened this week in the MLB was with Madison Bumgarner, who got hurt while riding his dirt bike and looks to be out a couple of months with injuries that he sustained from riding. This is a big loss for the San Francisco Giants because Bumgarner is not only their ace on the pitching staff, but is also a key leader on the team. He also throws a lot of innings for the team which saves their bullpen, and he usually can hit some dingers.

With the Giants already off to a slow start in the extremely competitive National League West, it puts the team’s season into question and the Giants have only played 19 games with a record of 6-13. The Giants have always looked to acquire players to improve their team for the playoffs and they look to do the same this year especially without Bumgarner for most of the season.

Until next week, K DEN!

aoda@willamette.edu