Home2017-2018This week in sports

This week in sports

By Aaron Oda

This week in sports was all about making plays.  The teams who were able to make the big play in the big situation found themselves winning some crucial games throughout the different sports.  We saw the most action and some real good team work from in college football with multiple upsets that shook the landscape. Here is this week in sports.  

MLB

The playoffs have started and they have been rather entertaining.  The two American League series have played three games so far and both have a team leading by two games to one.  The Cleveland Indians lead their series against the Yankees winning the first 2 at home and losing the first game on the road on Sunday.  The exact same scenario has happened in the Houston Astros and Boston Red Sox series with the Astros winning the first two at home and losing the first game on the road on Sunday.  In the National League series we have one series at one game a piece and one up two games to none. The series between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Arizona Diamondbacks have the Dodgers leading the series with two wins as they go to Arizona and play the Diamondbacks on Tuesday and Wednesday.  The Chicago Cubs were able to win one game on the road to tie the series at one win a piece against the Nationals as they head to play two games in Chicago on Tuesday and Wednesday.  

NFL

The Seattle Seahawks currently find themselves at 3-2 and atop of the NFC West.  The Seahawks beat division rival Los Angeles Rams on Sunday by a score of 16-10.  Seattle was once again lead by their stout defense, which caused five turnovers against a good offense.  The defense was able to get two interceptions and force three fumbles.  Tight end Jimmy Graham was able to log his first touchdown of the year, which was the only one thrown on the day by quarterback Russell Wilson. The Jacksonville Jaguars got a surprising win by going into Pittsburgh and beating the Steelers.  Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had 312 yards but had five interceptions on the day. The Steelers also had a terrible defense..  Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette was able to gain 181 yards and scored 2 touchdowns in the game.  The rookie from LSU  has been putting on a show for the league all season.  

NCAAF

It has been another crazy week of upsets in college football.  The unranked Iowa State Cyclones went on the the road, to beat the third ranked Oklahoma Sooners by a score of 38-30.  The Cyclones were able to outplay Heisman hopeful Baker Mayfield in a shootout, with both offenses putting up at least 440 yards of offense.  This was a major setback for the Sooners in their quest to finish in the top 4 in order to make the college playoffs for a chance to be the national champion.  The other big upset was the Michigan State Spartans beating the  Michigan Wolverines. The Spartans, who are unranked, went into seventh ranked Michigan’s house and beat them by a score of 14 to 10.  Michigan State was able to force 3 interceptions from quarterback John O’Korn and turn that into the biggest win of the season.  Until next week, K DEN!

aoda@willamette.edu