Home2017-2018This week in sports

This week in sports

By Aaron Oda

One of the best parts of sports is the uncertainty. This week in sports had some spooky happenings because of Friday the 13th and October baseball.  We recap it all in this edition of this week in sports.  

NBA

The NBA opens its season on Wednesday.  It has been a long offseason as many high profile players have changed cities and teams looking to defeat the Golden State Warriors.  The Warriors are still the overwhelming favorites to win the NBA Championship for the third time in four years.  The Portland Trailblazers added some key pieces through the draft in a guard from North Carolina named Justin Jackson.  It will be an interesting season to watch because of the moves players made this off season, so you should all start tuning in to what should be an entertaining season.  

MLB

The playoffs are well underway and it has not been short of excitement.  In the American League series the Houston Astros lead the series two games to none over the New York Yankees.  The Astros won both games by a score of 2-1 showing the strength of their starting pitching as both starters lasted at least 7 innings and gave up only one run in the two starts.  The best game of the series happened on Saturday with the Astros winning on a Carlos Correa double to right center giving starting pitcher Justin Verlander the complete game win.  

In the National League series between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Chicago Cubs, the Dodgers also find themselves ahead two games to none.   This series has been dominated by the Dodgers’ stellar starting lineup. In the game on Sunday the Dodgers won by a score of 4-1.  The game winning homerun in the bottom of the ninth inning came off of the bat Justin Turner, who sent  the ball into deep left center field.

NCAAF

College football owns Saturdays, but the greatest upsets of the week came under the spooky lights of Friday the 13.  In one of the upsets, the second ranked Clemson Tigers lost to unranked Syracuse Orange. Syracuse only allowed 204 yards to a team that is known for their high flying offense. In the other upset of the week, the unranked California Bears were able to defeat the 8th ranked Washington State Cougars.  In this game the Bears’ defense was able to force seven turnovers against another explosive offense.  These turnovers lead the Bears to control the tempo and the lead for the entire game as they won huge by a score of 37-3.  

NFL

The NFL season has been wild so far because it has seemed that any team can win on any given weekend.  This week we saw the undefeated Kansas City Chiefs team lose to a rather mediocre Pittsburgh Steelers team.  The Steelers were able to limit the explosive Chiefs ‘offense to only 13 points with 10 of them coming in the last quarter.  The defense also only gave up a total of 251 yards and only 28 yards that came from rushing.  The Steelers won by a score of 19-13.  In the highest scoring game on Sunday with a score of 52-38, the New Orlean Saints were able to outlast the Detroit Lions.  The Saints were able to score early and often as they scored 31 points by halftime and the Lions did not have enough offensive fire power to keep up.  Until next week, K DEN!

aoda@willamette.edu