This week in sports

Nov 12th, 2017 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Sports

By Aaron Oda

Another crazy week went by in sports as we saw the Trojans fall, the Patriots lose and the Cubs start their title defense. This week, we cover the end of the baseball season, a crazy week in the NFL and a big upset in college football.

MLB

The MLB regular season finished on Sunday without any teams needing to win or lose to get into the playoff race. Tuesday is the first game of the playoffs with the American League Wild Card game between the New York Yankees and Minnesota Twins, with the winner playing the Cleveland Indians on Thursday. The National League Wild Card game between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Colorado Rockies is on Wednesday, with the winner playing the Los Angeles Dodgers on Friday. The other American League series between the Houston Astros and Boston Red Sox also starts Wednesday. With the other National League series starting Friday between the Chicago Cubs and Washington Nationals.

A rather noteworthy stat from the season as a whole is there were 6,105 home runs hit this season surpassing the record of 5,693 set in 2000. With all of the home runs hit this season we also saw a record set in strikeouts with 40,105 beating 38,982 from the previous season. If that stat wasn’t shocking, a player named Joey Gallo contributed 41 home runs but only had 32 singles on the season. To have more home runs than singles is unheard.

NFL

Football is a crazy game that is won and lost by inches, as evidence by the game on Sunday. In one of the early morning upsets the New England Patriots lost at home to the Carolina Panthers. This Patriots team was supposed to be dominant, but they now find themselves with two losses going into week five. The Patriots lost on a last second field goal by a score of 33-30.

On the polar opposite side of the spectrum, the New York Jets won their second game of the season at home against the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jets were picked by some to possibly win no games this season and go 0-16. But with another win this week, they like the Patriots, find themselves at 2-2. This Jets team has been led by running back Bilal Powell who has gave the offense life over the course of the season.

NCAA Football

This week, an amazing upset happened between the fifth ranked USC Trojans and the 16th ranked Washington State Cougars. The Cougars, who normally find themselves in last place in the Pac-12, shocked the conference with this win. The Trojans were the team to beat but the Cougars had something else to say on Friday night. The Cougars hit a field goal in the last minute to push their lead to 30-27 and gave the Trojans a last chance to steal the victory. But the game ended with a Sam Darnold fumble while escaping the pocket, allowing the Cougars to run out the clock. Until next week, K DEN

aoda@willamette.edu