Home2017-2018This week in sports

This week in sports

By Aaron Oda

NBA

The Oklahoma City Thunder super team that was created this summer is not doing so well, with a record of 10-12 and the 9th seed in the West. The team has lost 5fiveof the last eight games they have played but have won back to back games against the Spurs and Timberwolves.

With so many playmakers and scores on the floor, it is hard to find each of their star players opportunities to score. Triple double machine Russell Westbrook is still putting up some amazing numbers this season averaging 22 points per game as well as 9.1 rebounds and 9.7 assists. Lok for the Thunder to find their way this season because they have too much talent on their team to not make a playoff run.

NFL

With four weeks left in the season we find the local Seattle Seahawks behind the Los Angeles Rams by a game for first place in the division. But they do hold the 1st wild card seed with a record of 8-4 and are in control of their destiny. The Seahawks had a big win on Sunday night over the NFC leading 10-2 Philadelphia Eagles. Quarterback Russell Wilson once again played the one man show for the Seahawks amassing 258 yards in total while also throwing three touchdowns in the 24-10 win. He has been creating all of the offense for the Seahawks of late while the defense is still creating its magic in December. The Eagles on the other hand have been the surprise team of the year with 2nd year quarterback Carson Wentz playing out of his mind and putting himself into the MVP candidate talks. Wentz leads one of the most potent offenses in the NFL averaging 31.9 points per game, which is 1st in the NFL. So look for this weeks loss to the Seahawks be a blip on the radar going forward for the Eagles who look to make a Super Bowl run.

NCAAF

This weekends conference championship games wrapped up the college football regular season and who will be the final four teams playing for the National Championship. In the ACC championship game the Clemson Tigers took care of business by beating the Miami Hurricanes by a score of 38-3. This win and a 12-1 record earned the Tigers the number one seed and a rematch against the SEC and national power Alabama who scored the 4th seed.

In the SEC championship game between the Georgia Bulldogs and Auburn Tigers, the Bulldogs were able to avenge an earlier season loss by winning with a score of 28-7. From this win the Bulldogs were awarded the 2nd seed in the playoffs and will play the 3rd seed Oklahoma Sooners. The Sooners won their conference championship beating the TCU Horned Frogs by a score of 41-17.

GOLF

December golf is rarely talked about but this week is different because of one person, Tiger Woods. Woods has made his long return to the golf course this weekend playing in the Hero World challenge and finishing tied for 9th place with a -8 score. This was a major step for Woods who has not played in a professional tournament since February. He was not only able to complete this tournament, but do well in it so everyone needs to be on Woods watch for the upcoming season of golf. Till next week, K DEN.

aoda@willamette.edu