Home2017-2018This week in sports

This week in sports

By Aaron Oda

This Week in Sports we say goodbye to the NFL as it caps off another exciting season with the Super Bowl.  A new champion was crowned, and on top of that we now have a refined understanding of what exactly a ‘catch’ is.

NFL

The Super Bowl was this Sunday, and if you were not able to catch the game here is a short summary.  The Philadelphia Eagles won the game by a score of 41-33, beating the New England Patriots. This was the Eagles’ first Super Bowl win as a franchise.  One of the coolest stats that I heard in the post game coverage was that this was the first time a quarterback that had over 500 yards passing and three touchdowns still lost a game, which was attributed to the Patriots’ Tom Brady.  Another interesting note is that there was only one punt in the game, which came from the Eagles.  This is surprising because it means the Patriots never gave the ball back to the Eagles without scoring some points in the entire game other than one missed field goal and one turnover.  If you are also a little superstitious like me, you might be interested in the fact that the team wearing white jerseys compared to a solid color jersey has won 12 of the last 13 Super Bowls, but the Patriots could not follow the trend.  

NBA

One interesting thing that came out of the NBA this week was ESPN’s new power ranking system.  Surprisingly, the Golden State Warriors didn’t top this list.  The top spot has now been momentarily taken over by the Houston Rockets, who have been playing some spectacular basketball.  The Rockets find themselves with a record of 38-13, trailing the Warriors in Western Conference standings by two games.  The success of the Rockets comes from their amazing shooting, averaging 15 made three pointers a game. Their leading scorer James Harden is also the current favorite to win the league’s MVP award this season, averaging 31.2 points, 5 rebounds and 9.1 assists per game.  This offensive output and better defensive play has made Harden one of the premier point guards in the league, joining some former MVPs of the position like Stephen Curry and Russell Westbrook.

NCAAB

This week in college basketball we will be spotlighting a team from the bay.  The 11th ranked Saint Mary Gaels are taking the country by storm, led by Jock Landale. This story is extremely special because the Gaels come from a non-power five conference, which basically means they play with “smaller” universities.  For a mid major school to be ranked this high in the basketball rankings means you have been a consistent force in college basketball. Landale is averaging 30 points and 15 rebounds a game.  Until next week, K DEN.

ohh brah have you ever noticed quote of the week

“Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.” –Joe Moore

aoda@willamette.edu