This week in sports

Feb 13th, 2018 | By | Category: 2017-2018, Sports

By Aaron Oda

This in week in sports has been filled with drama. While all kinds of players bounce around teams before the NBA’s trade deadline here in the states, pressure is building for the Winter Olympics. Let’s take a look at what happened this week in sports.

NBA

What a crazy week it has been in the NBA.  As a result of the trade deadline last Thursday, we saw many all-star players move teams. The most outlandish trades happened with the Lebron James led Cleveland Cavaliers.  The Cavaliers shipped out six all-star caliber players including the recently acquired Isaiah Thomas, good friend Dwyane Wade, Jae Crowder, Channing Frye,  Derrick Rose and Iman Shumpert. They were able to get four players from multiple teams.  The Cavaliers seem to be most excited about George Hill, who is one of the four players who was acquired in trading due to his above average outside shooting and ability to drive to the rim.  Another trade that should be talked about is Blake Griffin heading to Detroit.  With this trade happening a few weeks ago, fans are starting to see the impact of a perennial all-star like Griffin can have on their team.  With all of these big names moving at the deadline all general managers can do is hope for similar success like Griffin and Detroit.  We wish all the newly constructed teams all around success and a playoff spot in April.  

NCAAB

The college program we will be covering this week is the Kentucky Wildcats.  For the first time ever in the John Calipari era the Wildcats have lost three games in a row.  With a record of 17-8 and finding themselves in seventh place within their conference with an even 6-6 record, Wildcat fans have been truly disappointed.   An even 6-6 conference record and eight losses overall is already too many losses for most Wildcat fans  who are used to an unblemished record and a chance to win the coveted March Madness tournament.  But this year Calipari and his always young team are having a hard time finding wins in a much improved SEC conference, which has three teams in the top 25.  

Olympics

If you are unaware, the Winter Olympics are going on, so let’s catch you up on what’s been happening.  With the opening ceremony happening just last Friday the Olympics have just gotten underway and will provide amazing sports entertainment for the next couple of weeks.

The United States already has three gold medals to their name with six total medals as of Monday.  The gold medal lead is currently held by Germany with four and the overall medal lead is held by Norway with a total of nine medals.  There have been so many events to watch from figure skating to the half pipe, and they have all been filled with drama.  Some of the notable upcoming events are short distance speed skating and the Men’s alpine skiing on Wednesday. Until next week, K DEN.

“Ohh brah have you ever noticed” quote of the week

“Some people are like popcorn. You don’t learn what they’re really made of until you put heat under them.” —Joe Moore

aoda@willamette.edu