Home2017-2018This week in sports

This week in sports

By Aaron Oda

This week in sports was all about new beginnings. For the NBA it’s the beginning of the second half of the season and the push for the playoffs. Meanwhile, baseball is back. Let’s take a look at this week in sports.

NBA

This week was the NBA all-star weekend. This means the players finally get a week or so break from competition to relax and possibly showcase more of their skills across different competitions. Starting off was the celebrity all-star game that featured stars like Jamie Foxx, Justin Bieber and Nick Cannon, to name a few of the more notable celebrities that showed off their athletic abilities. The game was won by Team Clippers, beating Team Lakers by a score of 75-66 with rap artist Quavo winning the MVP of the game scoring 19 points on 7-10 shooting for team Clippers.

This weekend also includes a skills competition, a dunk contest and a three point contest highlighting some of the special players around the league. The skills competition was won by Brooklyn Nets guard Spencer Dinwiddie who is currently averaging career highs in all major statistics. Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker won the three point shooting competition by defeating splash bro Klay Thompson with a record score of 28 out of 34 points. The dunk contest winner was Donovan Mitchell from the Utah Jazz who showcased a throwback Vince Carter windmill dunk to win the competition. As for the all-star game itself, team Lebron beat team Curry 148-145 in what was described as much more entertaining and exciting for both fans and players. Lebron James won the MVP of the game scoring 28 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists in the game.

MLB

OMG baseball is back! After a long winter with no baseball, spring training has officially begun with all players reporting to camp. We are still about five more weeks removed until the regular season but nothing is more exciting than when players start reporting for spring training to begin the season. This offseason was not as exciting in comparison to basketball’s but there still has been a number of trades and signings that will surely make an impact on team’s postseason chances. One of the biggest offseason moves was made by the New York Yankees acquiring Giancarlo Stanton from the Miami Marlins, adding his 6 foot 6 inch 245 pound frame to a lineup that already has one of the largest players in history, Aaron Judge. With Yankee Stadium playing relatively “small” you would not be wrong to guess that both Stanton and Judge will be hitting baseballs out of that park in the masses. In one of the biggest signings in recent memory, the Los Angeles Angels signed Shohei Ohtani from Japan who is considered to be the Babe Ruth of Japanese baseball. What makes him special is he pitches and hits well enough for the Angles to use him in both areas but we are going to learn quickly how well his skills compare to the best in the world competing in the MLB.

Olympics

It has been another fun filled week in for the U.S. in the olympics this week. The United States was able to add six more medals and bring their total to 12 with five of them being golds. But this has actually been one of the lowest medal counts for the United States in recent memory and will continue their “losing” streak in the winter games by not having the most medals in the games.

aoda@willamette.edu