Home2017-2018This week in sports

This week in sports

By Aaron Oda

This week in sports we are covering everything from Golf to the FBI to references to the Kardashians. Let’s take a look at This Week in Sports.

NBA

If you like the drama shows like Keeping up with the Kim Kardashians and Abby Lee’s Dance Company, you should start paying attention to the NBA. First, starting with the most glaring situation in the league involving the San Antonio Spurs. This drama starts with their superstar forward Kawhi Leonard and his unwillingness to return to the team because of a supposed injury. Head coach Gregg Popovich commented that he would be surprised if Leonard returned this season, but there also have been rumors that he has been cleared to play but is just away taking time from the team.

Beyond this, there has been drama between a news host on Fox and Lebron James for her comment telling him to just shut up and dribble his ball. This has obviously only provoked him to speak out more and has lit a fire she surely didn’t anticipate.

NCAAB

One of the most interesting stories in sports right now has to be in the scandals found in college basketball. With the FBI getting involved in some investigations against more than 20 nationally recognized teams like Arizona, Duke and North Carolina. Just know the mess and corruption in college basketball has just begun.

But of course the madness must roll on to March. A game worth mentioning is number five Duke losing to unranked Virginia Tech by a score of 64-63. Put Virginia Tech on your watch list come bracket season because this team is the second in history to beat a top 10 ranked Duke, Virginia and North Carolina in the same season.

Golf

This week was special for me because we saw Tiger Woods wearing his red shirt on a Sunday in a tournament. Going into Sunday Tiger found himself within the top 10 and was at one point only five shots off the lead. He looked a lot better than the man who had missed the cut and didn’t play any golf the weekend before, so watch out for him in the Masters in April. Count me as on the bandwagon and mark my words: Tiger may be able to pull some magic and finish his career on the high note.

Olympics

The Winter Olympics is finally wrapping up after entertaining us for the last two weeks. The United States ended the games with 23 medals and nine golds. I was able to watch three of them and they were certainly special. Shaun White’s Gold medal in the snowboard halfpipe redeemed him after the 2014 games in Sochi. The women’s snowboard halfpipe also went to an American named Chloe Kim. I can say this one is special for me because she is not only an American, but an Asian American who was able to win a Gold medal in her family’s home country of Korea.

The American men’s curling team was also able to come home with a gold medal. This was a first appearance in the gold medal game for the American team and they were able to come through with the win by a score of 10-7, upsetting the power house that is Sweden. A fun fact about the American men’s curling is that the RAM restaurant, which has a location right across the street, is a proud sponsor of the team. So let’s raise a pint to the Gold medal winning men’s curling team. Until next week, K DEN!

Ohh brah have you ever noticed quote of the week

“When you have a fight with your conscience and lose, you win.” —Joe Moore

aoda@willamette.edu